Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

what dates to do additional scans

matrix1 is offline Registered User

what dates to do additional scans

Hi,
    If we opt for a public route, we get scans publicly at I believe weeks 12 weeks and 20 weeks.

What do people who want to go the 'semi-puublic/private' route normally do about extra scans and checks? once every 4 wks ?

we want to wait until we have seen the public doc for the first tests before seeing a private doc, so initial blood tests are covered by the public system.... but how many extra tests and scans do people tend to recommend, and when ??

thanks ;) xxx

lesliefu is offline Registered User
    apart from the 12th and 20th week, I will be doing my scan at 30weeks. i'm not a firm believer of scans unless there is something wrong and you actually need to check to make sure things are OK...

nicolejoy is offline Registered User
    I know some public hospitals don't do the 12 week scan.

Personally, I would do an early scan between 6-8 weeks just to check that there's a heartbeat (it's reassurance that you're a LOT less likely to miscarry once you've seen the heartbeat), then the 12/13 week one is important too (you can measure the nuchal fold which can be indicative of some birth defects), and 20 week (structural scan, can detect many birth defects) and 30 week (can catch stuff not visible on the 20 week scan in some cases). That's all that I consider "necessary" - but probably you can do without them too, technically...

I think it's fine to get as many scans as you want/as many as you can afford. It does no harm to the baby. Some may say that it does, and maybe it would if you were having 2 hour scans every single day... but there is no proof that it harms the baby to have one every few weeks... So I think it's entirely a personal decision - but I would suggest those 4 times as the most important times... 30 weeks is meant to be the best time for the 3D ultrasound though if you're planning to do one of those...

One thing about ultrasounds, I've learnt in this current pregnancy that really, the purpose is NOT to get that first picture for your baby album, but rather to try and diagnose potential problems and prepare you for their outcome. I am currently pregnant with a baby which does have birth abnormalities, and although it's difficult, I've been thankful for the chance to be able to prepare for it during pregnancy. For me, the abnormalities were first evident at my 13 week scan - and they were more accurately diagnosed at 17 weeks. I'm currently 25 weeks pregnant and now need scans every 3-4 weeks (including 3D) just to keep an eye on things. And I get them all for free in the public health system now too - although I wouldn't wish this on anyone...

southside852 is offline Registered User
    agree with Nicolejoy, I like to see the heartbeat as well. I've also just done a 14 week scan just to make sure everything is on the right track in the early stages. It's not a scheduled one, but to me it was important and gives me peace of mind. an 8 week period of no scans stills seems a bit long to me and this is my 2nd baby....

nicolejoy is offline Registered User
    At the end it isn't so bad though, going 10 weeks between scans (from 20 to 30, and from 30 to full-term) because you can feel the baby move all the time anyway and that reassures you. The only time I'd really want an extra scan during that time is if something felt "wrong" with the baby's movements...

hbw10 is offline Registered User
    every pregnancy is different and every mom-to-be is different. if you feel you need to double-check something, then schedule an additional scan. Nicolejoy is right though in that in the later weeks, you feel the baby moving inside of you which is always a good sign that things should be going according to schedule.

Shenzhennifer is offline Registered User
    I had lots. 7.5 weeks, 9 weeks (bc I had pain), 12 weeks, 16, 21, then I slowed down:)
    I agree with Nicole - get as many as you like, especially for the reassurance in the beginning.

hobbes is offline Registered User
    A friend of mine who delivered on the public system at QMH saw Sally Ferguson through her pregnancy for the additional scans and the continuity of one dr monitoring. Dr Ferguson knew she would not be doing the delivery but still gave her monthly time and attention. Finding a dr like that is a good option - then you are with one person thru the 9 months, who has your case history.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast