Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Jolly Phonics

rani is offline Administrator
    Isn't 3 a bit young for Jolly Phonics? My son learnt JP in P1 at ESF. They just played at ESF Kindy.

carang is offline Registered User
    this is hk, though, rani! i get parents wanting to put their 2 year olds into my phonics classes that are designed for 4+ year olds...

rani is offline Administrator
    Sorry! I keep forgetting.

carang is offline Registered User
    no problem! me, too... just try explaining to parents that although little johnny is very clever, he just won't fit into the class designed for kids 2-3 yrs older than he is...it's a hard sell sometimes.

Melody97 is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by carang View Post
    thank you, christy for pointing out the standard of english in that post. i did not want to offend anyone by commenting on it. to be fair, i virtually never capitalise when using forums (unless it's for emphasis)... often, i don't even punctuate properly. BUT, i teach all day long and if i were to come on here and promote my english teaching, i WOULD make sure that i took care and proof-read my posting BEFORE posting it.

i understand that english is not the mother-tongue of many posters on here and as such, try to let it all "slide" a little...

To let it "slide" - I guess we shall. But it pains me to read postings sent by International school teachers promoting themselves for possible English tutoring jobs whilst using appalling English.

BEWARE - Mums out there!!!

Typos I can accept. Lack of capital letters and punctuation marks are fine too. But to form sentences such as "I'm an international kindergarten teacher and get used to teach in Jolly Phonics..." and "Although I don't know is there any interesting classes running this Phonics programme, I still got a collegue who is able to teach Jolly Phonics in spare time, she is single so she got more free time..." is unacceptable! I am not a teacher. Just a concerned mum who pays honest money for the International school fees, plus a private English tutor, expecting them to educate using proper English. I would hate to hear local and international children being taught incorrect English in their school! The bad grammar gives genuine International NAT teachers a bad name. If one were truly "native" shouldn't correct grammar come naturally??? Perhaps some of you may disagree with me on this...

From a very concerned mum

lottieclee is offline Registered User
    I don't think true International Kindy teach Jolly Phonics. It must be some local so-called "international kindergarten" that teach it.

Sorry... really don't wanna offend anyone...

lemon o p is offline Registered User
    Phonics is such a hot topic. I haven't met a parent who hasn't questioned me on this subject. What you must remember is there's work to do before a child starts learning phonics. There are many good phonics programmes available and i don't use one exclusively. Before children start to learn phonics there are skills they should have. Be able to rhyme - there's nothing better than singing traditional nursery rhymes and reading traditional tales to your child. An awareness of alliteration, syllables in words and and an ability to hear segmented words. No letters, worksheets or expensive resources needed. Take a look at the 'Letters and Sounds' documents issued by the DFES.
    Once your child has these skills and is at an age when they are ready to read, learning phonics should be easy, fun and non stressful.
    My advice would be to leave phonics for a year, look for some fun classes that involve lots of singing, story telling and role play.
    Pls message me if i can help any further.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12