Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Jolly Phonics

sandy0741 is offline Registered User

Jolly Phonics

Hi, is there anyone out there who has their kids enrolled in Jolly Phonics, is it useful? I have a 3 year old one, and he is going to a local kindi, but I would like to get more exposure to English, is there any good centres around Hong Kong Island , near Central, that has got Saturday classes?

TheQuasimother is offline Registered User
    I like Jolly phonics. It's fun and takes into account several different learning styles for a variety of students - very much MI based. I've only seen it incorporated into mainstream primary curriculum though. I'm sure it's similar in kindies.

I don't know of any Saturday classes. I'd like to know too! As a teacher, I don't make the best teacher for my son! So, sometimes I prefer to outsource his learning!

sandy0741 is offline Registered User
    Is there anyone out there who knows about it??? I know YMCA in TsT offers but it's too far away from where I live, sort of thinking in Central area. Anyone can help us?

RL089786 is offline Registered User
    I'm an international kindergarten teacher and get used to teach in Jolly Phonics, as all of you said, I agree that Jolly Phonics is very useful tools for children to learn how to blend words together in order to get higher motivation to read. Although I don't know is there any interesting classes running this Phonics programme, I still got a collegue who is able to teach Jolly Phonics in spare time, she is single so she got more free time...if anyone interested on it, you are always welcome to send a mail to me and I can tell her.

0ze_Kid is offline Registered User
    I am not a big fan of Jolly Phonics. I prefer Get reading Right but they are both phonics programs. I just like that Get Reading Right was easy for me to implement at home AND, as an aspiring teacher will be easy to use in the classroom too with lots of team games, puzzles etc.

Call up MMI, they will be running saturday classes in phonics although I think 3 years old might be a little young. They can give you the details. It is a Montessori school but it teaches literacy through lots of story reading, phonics and play.

MMI homepage the website doesn't have anything on the enrichment programs (what you would be looking for), so best to call 852-3422 3748. The school is in Pokfulam or thereabouts.

If you are out near Tsing Yi you might also like to look at Home she does lots of English playgroups and I think is also putting on phonics classes but I do not know what age group.

I think 3 is very young to be learning to read but both of the above have good 'English' programs which will help prepare your son for early reading once he is 4-6 years old.

Good luck.

mosesbabe is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by RL089786 View Post
    I'm an international kindergarten teacher and get used to teach in Jolly Phonics, as all of you said, I agree that Jolly Phonics is very useful tools for children to learn how to blend words together in order to get higher motivation to read. Although I don't know is there any interesting classes running this Phonics programme, I still got a collegue who is able to teach Jolly Phonics in spare time, she is single so she got more free time...if anyone interested on it, you are always welcome to send a mail to me and I can tell her.
    I am interest to employ the native english teacher to teach 2 of my kids (3Y boy for phonic, 6Y girl for compensation). I live in Pok Fu Lam. If your friend feel interest of my job, please dont hesitate to contact me [email protected].

I am looking forward to you.

Christy

Melody97 is offline Registered User

Are you sure?

Hi Christy,

Are you sure you want RL089786 or his/her friend tutoring your children? I understand that it is not expected for one to use proper English in emails and sms's, however, if the "International Kindergarten teacher" was truly native, he/she would take care with their English grammar especially when promoting themselves or friends to prospective clients. How can a teacher at an International Kindergarten use such poor English? I also wonder which Kindergarten does he/she work at? Additionally, he/she never stated that the friend is native at all. I hope you understand what I mean... Perhaps I am mistaken and RL089786's friend is native and the author was just lazy in his/her posting???

This is not to offend anyone, especially RL089786. I agree, no one is perfect. I'm sure someone may find some grammatical or spelling errors in my reply. Sorry in advance if you do! I would like for you, Christy, to find a genuine native English teacher.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by RL089786

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Christy
    I am interest to employ the native english teacher to teach 2 of my kids (3Y boy for phonic, 6Y girl for compensation). I live in Pok Fu Lam. If your friend feel interest of my job, please dont hesitate to contact me [email protected].

I am looking forward to you.

Christy

carang is offline Registered User
    thank you, christy for pointing out the standard of english in that post. i did not want to offend anyone by commenting on it. to be fair, i virtually never capitalise when using forums (unless it's for emphasis)... often, i don't even punctuate properly. BUT, i teach all day long and if i were to come on here and promote my english teaching, i WOULD make sure that i took care and proof-read my posting BEFORE posting it.

i understand that english is not the mother-tongue of many posters on here and as such, try to let it all "slide" a little...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast