Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Yogurt maker

crystal88 is offline Registered User
    Hi Gataloca and loupou,

For fresh milk, do i really need to boil the milk and cool it down? my friend just warm it a little in a microwave (with a thermometer so she's sure it's just warm) then do the next step or adding the yogurt, etc......

Thanks!

Koan is offline Registered User
    You need to heat it initially to 82-85'C, but don't boil it. It's kind of like sterilising the milk, it kills of the bacteria you don't want in the yoghurt.

Then cool it slowly to 45'C before adding the yoghurt. If you cool it faster (for example by putting the pot in a tub of cool water) then you need to stir the milk constantly.

thanks koan, my indian friend also says boil it then cool it down....maybe it all depends on what type of milk you use, if it's UHT, then no need to boil as it has no more bacteria? if fresh milk you boil it? Just confuse on this area.

It means i also need to buy a thermometer to know the temperature?

shuchisingh is offline Registered User
    hi,

yes ... you dont need to boil pasteurisd milk. boiling milk and making yoghurt (curd) is something we have ALWAYS been doing in India hence the advise. I also boil my milk but it's more out of a lifelong habit than anything else - there's really no value add :)

just warm milk (not too hot more like drinkable lukewarm) and add a little (1 tb sp) plain yoghurt; stir it and leave it overnight. it would be ready by the morning. full cream and fresh is better. you dont need fancy devices etc - we make yoghurt all the time.

but yes in winters, a youghurt maker would be helpful in keeping the milk warm. in this weather there would be no problem. at the end of the day it's trial and error - you'll figure out what works best (temperatures, weather, kind of milk, amount of yoghurt) in no time.

Hi everyone,

I've been making it a few times, but the problem is it never sets right, sometimes i have to wait 10-12 hours. At 8 hours, it's still very liquid. And even with 12 hours, the consistency is like a smoothies.

I put it in an easiyo yogurt maker, boiling water inside and closed tightly, so it must not be the heating process. Something is wrong with the milk, yogurt, powdered milk, heating, etc....Any idea why it never sets? the taste is good enough. I have tried Anchor, Greenfield and devondale UHT. Thanks.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123