Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

breastfeeding first child while pregnant with 2nd.

pixelelf is offline Registered User

breastfeeding first child while pregnant with 2nd.

i just found out we are pregnant and am still breastfeeding my 26 month old son, who is still not ready to let go. does anyone have the same experience? is it safe to breastfeed while pregnant and what is it like to breastfeed both after birth?

prone_to_wander is offline Registered User
    I would check out this community on the internets Breastfeeding - MotheringDotCommunity Forums

There is lots on there about breastfeeding while pregnant and tandem nursing after the baby is born.

I hope this helps

nicolejoy is offline Registered User
    I breastfed for the first 3 months or so of my pregnancy. My best friend breastfed all the way through two pregnancy and then "tandem nursed" her two eldest kids. She weaned her oldest when she was pregnant with her 3rd, I think!! (she had her kids really close together, I think 14-16 months gap both times...)

It is safe to breastfeed during pregnancy most of the time. The exceptions are if you are at risk of preterm labour, since nipple stimulation may induce contractions. Your body's main priority will be the younger child so if your oldest is under a year old, you need to monitor their weight to make sure they're getting adequate nutrition, but you're not in the situation obviously! Further into the pregnancy, your milk production may change slightly to prepare for making colostrum for the new baby. So your supply might decrease - and it might taste different.

Many babies do self wean when the mum is pregnant. My girl did (she was 14-15 months old, my two will be 21 months apart), and my friend's 2nd child did as well. But others nurse happily all through pregnancy and after the baby is born too.

You can google "tandem nursing" for more information.

freddiebiscuit is offline Registered User
    I got pregnant when my daughter was 12 months old. She showed no signs of slowing down and I was okay with trying to continue nursing her while pregnant. The nurse at our MCHC was supportive, but cautioned that I may need to stop breasfeeding if I showed any risk of preterm labor.

It was challenging at times to nurse while pregnant. My nipples were super sensitive to the point I felt like crying at times. I night-weaned my daughter and cut down on the number of feeds during the day. On the plus side, she got to see my belly grow and grow and it gave us a chance to visit with her baby brother a few times every day. Nursing my daughter also allowed me some down time to rest. We would often fall asleep together.

6 months later, I am tandem nursing my son and 26 month daughter who still shows no signs of wanting to wean. She was more than willing to help with engorgment after my son was born and seemed quite amazed that there was suddenly all this milk available. I never got onto feeding them at the same time, but some women do. It's been challenging helping my daughter understand that she needs to share her baba, but she is getting better.

I guess I'll keep on going with the tandem feeding until my daughter is ready to wean herself. I kind of set a date in my mind to stop - her 3rd birthday - but we'll see when we get there. Both kids are growing and thriving, so I see no reason to wean my daughter.

So, for me, there are pros and cons to nursing while pregnant and with tandem nursing. If your doctor says it's okay, just give it a try and see how it goes. You'll know if it works for you and keep an open mind if it doesn't.

capital is offline Banned
    I BF my toddler while pregnant for 4 months, it got more and more painful then he very suddenly self weaned. I htought he would never stop, then one day he refused and never went back, he was 20 months. I don't think I really had any milk leftt. From what I've read it will get more painful and your milk supply will drop, but if your baby keeps going, eventually later in your pregnancy it gets more comfortable again,

monte is offline Registered User
    I'm in pretty much the same situation, though I rarely tell people! My son is 25 months, and still nurses first thing in the morning, and I'm 13 weeks pregnant. I was worried for a while, since I was so sick and hardly eating (or getting in the liquids) enough for me, much less for the baby or anything extra for nursing. But it was also a blessing, since it helped him sleep a little longer in the mornings, and thus let me sleep longer, adn I've been so tired! But, it has started to hurt more, and I think I have less milk because he's trying to suck harder and it's getting uncomfortable. I'm really hoping, honestly, that now that I have more energy I'll be able to get up and play with him first thing and thus gently encourage weaning. (On the weekends, his papa gets up with him and he never even asks for milk.) We'll see ...

pixelelf is offline Registered User
    wow. thanks ladies for sharing. the doc we saw said NO for fear of miscarriage. thing is, ive always been healthy and strong and i was trying to discuss the issue with him but he shut it down immediately. anyways, thank you for sharing with me :)

nicolejoy is offline Registered User
    I saw two doctors while I was breastfeeding and pregnant. Dr Ghosh didn't see it as any cause for alarm, but Dr Patrick Chan encouraged me to stop ASAP. It really just depend on the doctor. But it's not the norm over here, although in some cultures it has been VERY normal. In times past, kids weren't even weaned until they were 4 or something!! I wouldn't be surprised it some mums back then were nursing THREE kids at once!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast