Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

2 year old unaccompanied - too young?

southside852 is offline Registered User
    In Singapore, it seems like everyone sends their kids right at 2 years old or even a little before to unaccompanied classes. I was not quite ready for our son this winter as I still thought he was a bit immature, but I have decided to send him this fall - he will be 33 months old.

thanka2 is offline Registered User
    We started sending my son to full-day nursery school, unaccompanied when he was 2 years, 1 month old and he did fabulous! He didn't cry and carry on like we assumed he would. He was a bit clingy for the first couple of weeks (the parents accompany the kids for the first couple of weeks to help them adjust) but now he has no problems and runs off to his class as soon as we drop him off. I think it totally depends on your child and the child's personality. My son was ready and able to go unaccompanied to school (not just a short playgroup but sometimes he's there from 9 am to 3:30 pm) at around 2-years-old. Only you, the parent, can say for sure if the time is right or not for your own child.

LeahH is offline Registered User
    What made it easier for me and my daughter was that the teacher was the same for the accompanied and unaccompanied class (made sure we booked a slot with the same person).

I knew that it was familiar ground and that she would feel comfortable. I am less happy at the thought of the next 'phase' this September when she is 3. New school, new teacher, so feel for you.

geomum is offline Registered User
    Starbucks2 there is a new montessori preschool/ kindergarten opening in April in Discovery Bay this month. Might want to check it out

shoni is offline Registered User
    I rang the new montessori full of hope as it claims to be a bilingual montessori, but in truth the Mandarin teacher is not a qualified montessori teacher and there will only be 2 teachers to 20 children, aged 2. All children are expected to be potty trained. And the person I spoke to on the phone did not seem very organised or well informed. I asked for an email with information will keep everyone posted.

I know there is a factor in playgroups as well as the capability of the child. My friends child had a horrendous time going alone to one playgroup but was fine the following week at a different one....

PM sent

carang is offline Registered User
    as someone who has taught various playgroups for almost 15 years, i can tell you:
    1) the kids almost ALWAYS cry at least for the first few classes
    2) the kids ALWAYS stop crying within 5 minutes of their mums leaving (in 15 yrs, there has only been one exception)
    3) it's the MUMS who are not ready to leave their kids
    4) the mums usually, inadvertantly cause more tears by their reactions to the child's tears (give hope that if the child cries enough, they will be taken home... mum's reacting badly so that the kid feels worse being left)
    5) if you act as NIC did, and give hug, say matter of factly that you will be back in a while, see you later... the kids get over it faster once in the class room

good luck! it's a tough decision, but one only you, the mother, can make. it has to come at a time when YOU are ready otherwise it could cause more tears.

(ps> caps for emphasis not meant as shouting)

hbw10 is offline Registered User
    funny, my son is also a late talker ( think it's typical for boys)...he says 2 words together now at 26 months which i am fine with as i am not going to push him. i know he will talk when he's ready, but i actually think enrolling him in nursery earlier would have helped his communication skills......

starbucks2 is offline Registered User
    Thanks everyone. Lots to think about.

SB2

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast