Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

2 year old unaccompanied - too young?

starbucks2 is offline Registered User

2 year old unaccompanied - too young?

Hi

My son is almost 2 years and 2 months. I am considering playgroup options and in particular whether he would cope with unaccompanied classes when he is 2.5 years. He has been to Baby Buddies in Sheung Wan (accompanied) which was good but we are now in DB and the accompanied options are limited. He is in an accompanied one once a week at the moment. Does anyone else feel that kids are too little at this age to be left in an unaccompanied playgroup? Maybe it is just my son, but can't imagine he'd like being left there. I am sure they all cry to start with but just wanting some opinions on when people started unaccompanied playgroups.

Thanks
    SB2

Neha is offline Banned

We were same could not send our son alone to school so early so we delayed and he went at 2.9. I personally feel girls are better equipped to go early

shoni is offline Registered User

We are in DB too and my little girl started unaccompanied at 20 months. My friends little boy has just started the same playgroup this week at 23 months. His first morning alone was yesterday and he was fine.
    There is a big difference between playgroups and I would recommend you take trial classes or at least look around quite a few first.
    Also if you are in DB it may be worthwhile trying Second Friends at the marina club. It is in a huge area so your son can get used to going off and playing without you being quite so close by. It really does help with the independence.

Frenchy is offline Registered User

My son is 2.5 months and will start unaccompanied next month... I think I AM the one not to be ready ;). I know my son will be fine, as for example he is able to put/undo his shoes alone, wash his hands, eat his snack and pour his water alone, but on all, he seems to get bored now in the same classroom, and needs something more challenging.
    I'll put him unaccompanied only 2 times a week first.

geomum is offline Registered User

My little girl would have to go unaccompanied from July, she will be 2 years and 4 months old then. I am so not ready for it, as I fear she will be very confused and upset, perhaps cry a lot too. Gosh!!! it makes me cry right now thinking about it. She dislikes going with the Helper at this point in time and tells me to come along too. How will she cope alone?
    Perhaps it depends on the individual child, some take it well others don't. Also I think if the child has been going accompanied to the same school, has been with the same teacher and has friends/ class mates he knows well, then its little easier.

Last edited by geomum; 04-16-2010 at 02:01 PM. Reason: Typo

Thanks everyone.

Shoni - we are at Second Friends now which is good. I have signed up for a term so that we could decide whether we want to stay with accompanied or move to unaccompanied. Could you please PM me the unaccompanied one which your child goes to - would you recommend it?

Nic
    Nic is offline Registered User

My daughter is 25months and started going unaccompanied this week. First day she was fine, it was me that had to fight back the tears. Second day she was chatting away about what she was going to do but when we got there and I said goodbye she held my leg and cried. I rightly or wrongly gave her a hug and explained she was going to play and mummy would be back later. She let go but was still crying when I left the room which broke my heart.

However, I then sat in reception where you can watch via video what they are doing in the classroom and my daughter was busy painting and playing with another little boy. All within the 1 minute separation. I am sure my daughter would ideally like to stay with mum and some of the tears at least are her showing her disapproval, but I also think it has/is doing both of us the world of good. After 25months of solid one-on-one time with mum (we have no helper) I need it!

I dont think it is as much to do with the playgroup (presuming you have picked somewhere you think meets the needs of your child anyway) but more each individual child as to when they are ready.

And I don't think mums are ever really ready to leave their child- I dont think I was but then dont think I would be in a years time either!

Sorry for the long post it has been an emotional week and I saw this thread and wanted to off-load.

Thanks Nic. I agree about me not feeling ready for sure! But I also think he is not ready. He is a late talker and I wonder if that will make it harder for him. Having said that, it might help his talking more. He is very social at the park and playground and at his accompanied playgroup. Aggghh! Its such a big decision - tough job being a Mum!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast