Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Traveling on business and leaving the kids...

LeahH is offline Registered User

Traveling on business and leaving the kids...

Since going back to work I've had to do a few bus trips of 2 to 3 days. All went well and despite being work, it was actually quite relaxing relative to being at home!

However, I am looking at doing a full 7 days in May and again later in the year.

I am feeling a bit concerned at leaving my kids (1 and 2.5) for a whole week. My husband did it a few months ago and had no issues, I guess it is a bit different for mums..

The older one is mature enough to ask where I am and understand I am 'working' so I am less concerned on that front, however the baby is so young it will seem to him that I have just disappeared.

There is no option not to go, but I could cut it down to a 5 day working week. However, I haven't seen some very close friends there for so long it seems crazy to cut the trip short and not visit them, their children I haven't yet met (and shop of course...)

Would be great if anyone could share their experience - did you relish the time away, or just worry and miss your kids too much? What was it like when you came home - any impact?

Thanks

starbucks2 is offline Registered User
    I think you should take the extra days and see friends while you are there. At those ages as long as there is someone familiar looking after them then they will be fine I am sure. I am heading home for 5 days for a wedding later in the year and leaving my (then) 2.5 and 6 month old and I am super excited about a relaxing trip to the airport and flight without kids!!

southside852 is offline Registered User
    if you've already done it once for a few days and your trust your helper, then it should be fine. we left our son who was about 19 months old for a week last year for a house-hunting trip in singapore. we had just gotten back from the States so he was so jetlag that it seemed cruel to take him with us.

We took his passport with us and left a copy at home and i spoke to him 3 times a day. I also made sure I set up playdates with his friends every single day we were gone so that I could always check in with another mom to make sure they were there and then I would always ask how things went.

starbucks2 is offline Registered User
    Hi Leah

I had assumed that your husband would be home with a helper to look after them at least some of the time you were away (nights and the weekend?). When I go away for 5 days later in the year, my husband is being left in charge. It is a bit harder leaving for a week with the helper alone with them. I think I would have some concerns with that if it were me.

LeahH is offline Registered User
    Thanks everyone, kids will be with my husband and my helpers who are amazing and I trust 100%. I think I am being over sensitive ... grateful for the advice

southside852 is offline Registered User
    oh, i didn't realize your husband was there - that should be a cinch then! don't worry about it. i thought BOTH you and your husband were not going to be home.

snagito is offline Registered User
    I travelled a lot for work when my first child was between 9 months and 24 months and I have to say it was much easier than when he got old enough to say things like 'don't go' and 'why are you going, i miss you' and cry and throw himself on the ground etc like he did when he turned 3! Basically it is MUCH harder on you than on the baby - they will all cope fine while you're away -and then when you get back there may be a few days of 'acting-up' to in a way 'get back' at you for being away - babies have a funny way of doing this but don't worry about it - do what you need to do - they will be FINE so don't stress..good for them to get used to different situations in life in the end right..