Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Travel to Germany - Car Seats?

cyberfish88 is offline Registered User

Travel to Germany - Car Seats?

We are traveling to Germany in May with our 2 year old and I am not sure what to do about a car seat. I expect that we will be traveling on public transportation and in taxis occasionally. Does anyone have any advice? I really do not want to have to carry one from HK but what are my options?

Would appreciate any thoughts!

Sleuth is offline Registered User
    In my travels throughout Asia/Aussie/New Zealand/US, in general public transportation-taxis are exempt from needing car seats. But you will have to check with Germany. Maybe your hotel or the tourist board there can help.
    Keep in mind that whatever seat you have here may or may not be legal in Germany. Car seats are becoming quite the travel hassle.

Thanks sleuth for the comments. I am really stumped what to do. We are going to Germany and then will spend a week in Croatia which should also fall under strict EU standards when it comes to car seats. We do not want to be tied down to renting a car but I am worried that we may find ourselves stuck if we don't have a car seat with us and plan to rent a car.

carey is offline Registered User
    We are takeing our 10 month old the first time back to Germany to see his grandparents at the end of June.

Since we will mostly be driving ourselves, hopefully family there would be able loan us a car seat while we are there.
    Perhas you could rent one from the airport? Or like sleuth said it's exempted from public transports?

I would ask about this from my in-laws when we speak to them tonight. Will keep you posted.

starbucks2 is offline Registered User
    Sleuth - did you really find that taxis are exempt from car seats in Australia and NZ? That is news to me. Agree that you don't need a car seat for a bus there but was surprised that you don't need one for a car taxi. In my experience there we have either taken one with us or specifically asked the taxi to bring one when we ordered it. They usually have some at the depot but you have to request it.

Cyberfish - found this from google but best to double check with a travel agent:

"Germany: Children under 12 and under 1.5m in height must use an appropriate child restraint, e.g. a child seat or booster seat while in the front or rear of a car. Do not use rearward facing seats in front seats equipped with air-bags. Children may travel in the rear seats without restraints if all the others are in use & no restraint is available. Children must not sit in the front seat without the right child seat."

Flack is offline Registered User
    Starbucks2

It varies from state to state, but most of the time Taxis are exempt from the law. If there is a car seat fitted the child must be restrained but no car seat seems to be ok. You need to check with the Dept of Transport for the state you are traveling to.
    However, you are right in that you can usually order a taxi with one.

Neha is offline Banned
    We travelled last year to Europe including Italy , Denmark, UK no issues of using car seats in taxis and public transport. Our son was 2.5 year old

Neha,

When you say you had no issues with car seats in taxis and public transport, do you mean that you did not use one anywhere? Did you even bring one with you?

Thanks! Just need to clarify!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast