Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Washing cloth diapers in HK

Portia is offline Registered User
    Hong Kong
    My front loading washing machine washes really well and has very high heat options, but one thing to consider is that it is very slow. It can take over 2.5 hours to finish a load with hot water as the washing machine heats the water up (as opposed to being filled with hot water from the tap) and the full number of rinses (4 on the cotton program)! Also it does not have such a large capacity as a North American top loader.

loupou is offline Baby Guru
    New Territories
    It was many years ago... (my youngest is now 12).

1) Soak used diapers in pail w/ napisan

2) Washed diapers - I think on cold setting. I think we washed them in Napisan too.

3) Hung to dry - on the roof in good weather and on the laundry rack in the living room in bad weather

Didn't have problems w/ infections or anything.

fee is offline Registered User
    Tai Po, Hong Kong
    Currently using cloth and soak in bucket of water with 1/4 cup vinegar then wash in front loading machine at 60 degrees (c). We are lucky to have access to an outdoor communal washing line but when weather not good we dry on a rack with a dehumidifier. Works well.

happyvalleygirl is offline Registered User
    Happy Valley
    I wash cloth nappies in washing machine on pre-wash setting on 60 deg. Takes about 1.5hr. Nappies come out very clean. Haven't used Napisan or other sanitiser yet. Just use Fairy Non-Bio in both detergent compartments. I dry them them in the separate dryer which takes about 40 mins. I use the pocket re-usables nappies which dry much quicker than all-in-ones.

seattleite is offline Registered User
    Thanks for everyone's responses. I'm glad to hear several other people are using cloth just fine; makes me feel like I can do it, too. I suppose the key is to find a decent machine!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12