Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Visiting hours & public hospitals

Liquorice is offline Registered User

Visiting hours & public hospitals

Hi. I am trying to decide between public and private for my delivery later this year. I have noticed that many of the public hospitals restrict visiting hours to just two hours a day whereas private hospitals seem to be much longer (up to 14). I also understand that you can pay for a private room at some public hospitals. Does anybody know whether this would mean that you would have extended visiting hours or would the two-hour rule still apply?

City Jammer is offline Registered User

Pamela Youde Nethersole Eastern Hospital has the Special Accomodation Ward and I hear that visiting hours are from 8 am to 8 pm. I'm not entirely sure but I will find out in October when my baby's due. Another mom I know paid about $4,000 for three nights' stay and she shared the ward with another mom, even though the room could accomodate four mothers. I hear that the private ward at Queen Mary Hospital has much longer visiting hours too.

monte is offline Registered User

I have heard rumors that the special accommodation ward isn't open right now. HAve you visited recently and do you know for sure what is the status on this ward? I am thinking about going there myself, and my baby is also due in October. Also, do you know if they have "props" available in the delivery rooms like birthing balls or birthing stools?

carang is offline Registered User

to be honest, i LOVED the 2 hour visiting hours... when everyone's people come at the same time, they all leave at the same time and i could get some rest...

nicolejoy is offline Registered User

I hated it - for me, I wanted to be together as a family at that time, and my daughter wasn't allowed out and hubby wasn't allowed in. Overall I rate my experience at QMH as "ok" (not horrible) but that was probably one of the worst things for me...

I didn't mind that other people could only come 2 hrs a day - I wish that hubbies were allowed for longer though...

carang is offline Registered User

let me ammend that:

for my first pregnancy, i liked it. hubby was working anyway, so he couldn't have been there 24/7 or even much more than the 2 hours in the evening.

for my second pregnancy, i missed my older one immensely. i was ready to go home earlier than with the first, mentally. physically was ready about the same time.

c-sections for both. don't know if i'd had a natural delivery second time round if i would have stayed longer.

i agree... it would have been nice if hubbies could come longer... it was the 99 OTHER members of the family (of the other patients, of course! LOL) that i could have done without.

fee
    fee is offline Registered User

I agree with Cara. Noisy and busy enough without extras all day. In saying that we were still undecided on whether to go public or private with visiting hours one of the main problems. When I went into labour we called Matilida to confirm room but, due to bubs being in too much of a hurry and being born at home, we went to Queen Mary. Ended up having no problem with reduced hours as it gave me a much needed chance to rest (between being poked and prodded by various doctors and nurses). Also VERY glad we were at QMH as they wanted to keep bubs in the special care unit for observation. With no insurance the bill at Matilda would probably have been north of $150K. Instead we paid $500. For the sake of a few short days reduced visiting not that big a deal.

lesliefu is offline Registered User

you're lucky fee - the special care unit at QMH is exceptional! :)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast