Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

HK v Singapore for schools?

hbw10 is offline Registered User
    schools are obviously subjective, but the local schools are extremely different than the international ones and from what I have heard from those living in singapore, they are often disorganized, poorly managed and extremely rigid.

Obiwan is offline Registered User
    Raffles? Disorganised, poorly managed?

I beg to differ strongly.

matemate is offline Registered User
    can anyone elaborate a bit more please (except mandarin)?

what's really the 'better' thing about SG schools? if you compare say GSIS or CIS with top SG schools, where do they excel?

1stimemum is offline Registered User
    i'm singaporean so I'm biased and subjective but here's my 2cents... Sg local schools in general are all CONSISTENT. you will get a solid education in all subjects and u know that its regulated whereas local schools here are so varied, are not regulated to the extent such that you dont really know what minimum quality you're getting.

Cost of Local (NOT Expat) schools are so cheap its ridiculous, you pay less than $20USD a mth for Secondary (13-16yrs) school fees and your child is guaranteed to learn 8 subjects, have access to great facilities (computer labs, gyms, running tracks) etc....

It boils down to transparency, consistency in sg vs highly varied quality in hk.

just my opinion.

matemate is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by 1stimemum View Post
    i'm singaporean so I'm biased and subjective but here's my 2cents... Sg local schools in general are all CONSISTENT. you will get a solid education in all subjects and u know that its regulated whereas local schools here are so varied, are not regulated to the extent such that you dont really know what minimum quality you're getting.

Cost of Local (NOT Expat) schools are so cheap its ridiculous, you pay less than $20USD a mth for Secondary (13-16yrs) school fees and your child is guaranteed to learn 8 subjects, have access to great facilities (computer labs, gyms, running tracks) etc....

It boils down to transparency, consistency in sg vs highly varied quality in hk.

just my opinion.
    thanks for your feedback 1sttimemum. do you kow how it is for top international schools?

1stimemum is offline Registered User
    Expats! Singapore's the next best place to raise your kids | CNNGo.com

this article in CNN might help those who are moving to Sg and has any doubts about the life there.

I'm also faced with a tough choice, i really want to go back home but unfortunately my husband will have to stay another 2 yrs.

kiwikids is offline Registered User
    We just moved here last month from Singapore & had lived there for 5 yrs. My son was in Eton House International since he was 3 yrs old until he was 5, it's great school & teachers are nice most of them are westeners. they also provide children's meal & very high standard. the school fee is also very high, Singapore $8,500 per semester. they can only accomodate children up to 6yrs old. tanglin trust is the best school for Primary to high school. Chatsworth international school also is one of the best. The standard of education in Singapore is so much better than anywhere else in Asia & international school system is great. easy to make friends to expat people too.

kat012 is offline Registered User

moving from HK to Singapore - school dilemma!

hi there,

Just wondered if you are going ahead with your move to Singapore? We are now in the exact same situation as you. We are potentially moving in Sep to Singapore, but we have a problem with the school we like. Tanglin looks amazing but cannot confirm a place for my 4.7yr old until Sep 2011! I also have a 2.1yr old. Can anyone recommend another school that is good? We would prefere the English system or IB?

Any information would be fantastic!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast