Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

HK v Singapore for schools?

riseandshine is offline Registered User

HK v Singapore for schools?

We may have the option of moving to Singapore from HK next summer, just before my son is due to start school (he is currently 4, my daughter is nearly 2). I would be interested to hear from people who have lived in Singapore as well as HK, what is your opinion of the schooling there compared to here? I know each school is obviously individual but if you had a choice where would you prefer your child to be educated? We will be applying to the ESF schools here, but are not sure of the options in Singapore and would probably prefer an International School rather than a Local School from what I have read so far. Should we be looking at schools in Singapore and applying now just in case? Thanks for your advice.

(Background - we are from the UK, English speaking western family though my son will have attended a bilingual Mandarin / English preschool for a couple of years before he is due to start school).

1stimemum is offline Registered User
    International school are definitely better in Sg, imo, UWC is one of the best in Asia and also just from friends who have lived in both countries, they found better options in Sg. I only have a 3 mth old so no real experience to speak of, just from hear say.

southside852 is offline Registered User
    Singapore has some of the best international schools in the world. The Singapore American School (SAS), the Tanglin Trust School (UK system), UWC, OFS all are the best in the world. I have a 2 year old, but have friends with older kids enrolled everywhere and some have lived in both HK and SG, have said SAS is far superior here then HKIS and they rave about Tanglin Trust. The school facilities are abundant and lush with greenery. All the international schools whether American system or IB curriculum feed into UK, AMerican and Australian universities after.

As an ex-pat family, it is harder to go the local route here as priority is given to singaporeans, then permanent residents and then ex-pats. There is a huge difference in learning environment, teachers and curriculum.

hbw10 is offline Registered User
    i've heard that Singapore international schools are much stronger than HK's as well.

lisa88 is offline Registered User
    An added bonus is that Mandarin is more widely taught and spoken in Singapore compared to HK. Singaporean children learn Mandarin in simplified characters, the same as Mainland China. In HK written Chinese is still in traditional characters. It is the exception rather than the norm for Mandarin teaching schools/classes in HK to teach simplified characters. All this may not be terribly important for a young child starting out in Mandarin but it does make sense to start on the right footing instead of having to re-learn the characters. In HK, unless Mandarin is taught by mainland teachers, Mandarin here is often spoken with a strong Cantonese accent.

mcdill is offline Registered User
    I know of Singaporean expats working in HK who have moved back to Singapore because they felt the standard of education was higher there.

shoni is offline Registered User
    On a separate note my grandpa went to Tanglin in the 1920's!

Obiwan is offline Registered User
    I think the best schools in Singapore are not the internationsl schools though, but the 'local' ones like Raffles.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast