Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Long labour... do you stay longer?

Gataloca is offline Registered User

Long labour... do you stay longer?

Hi,

I have been reading the delivery package for UH, and for example, for normal delivery, the package is for 4 days 3 nights... I was wondering, since some people may deliver in few hours, while other may have long labour lasting more than 24 hours, would one have to stay longer if it took longer to her to deliver the baby???

MommyTo3 is offline Registered User

Usually they look from time of delivery. In the US, before midnight means your first night starts at midnight, if you deliver after midnight, your first night is still to come. It usually depends on insurance (too), so you may want to check with that.

starbucks2 is offline Registered User

Not sure about UH but at Matilda it goes from your delivery time so if its before midnight then that night is your first night of the package and if after midnight then you effectively have an extra night there.

Portia is offline Registered User

At Adventist, the 4 days/3 nights runs from when you are admitted, not when you deliver. I was admitted at 1 am on a Wednesday and my package ran out at 1 am on the Saturday. I gave birth at Weds 1 pm and left late on Friday night. As this was my second baby, I was ready to go home. But with my first as I had a long labour, my doctor suggested that I stay an extra night to recover. It was paid by my insurers, but was additional to the 4 day/3 nt package.

Shenzhennifer is offline Registered User

I was admitted on Sat morning, delivered by sudden c-section early Sunday morning and was discharged on Friday. They started counting the days from when my baby was born (5 days).
    That sounds pretty nasty of a hospital to count it from when you are admitted, bc aside from your not knowing how long your labour will be (and they don`t know either), you`re not occupying the regular room until after the birth anyway.

tstmum is offline Registered User

I was in labour overnight (at Matilda) and delivered in the morning, as starbucks2 says the time was counted from time of delivery. So effectively I was in hospital 4 nights.