Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Shopping for your little ones

sorchului is offline Registered User

Shopping for your little ones

How often do you buy clothes for your little ones, where do you go and how much do you usually spend?

Aava.Wong is offline Registered User
    i didn't have to buy clothes for my bub for the first 6 months as my friends and family gifted us with lots of clothes. after 6 months - i went to wing on, h&m, the lanes in central, stanley market, mongkok, jordan, shenzhen and baby shops which i see along the way. they grow too fast so i don't invest in expensive branded clothes.

i don't buy him clothes till he outgrows the ones he has but last month, i spent about $1,000 on tops, jeans, jackets and socks which might fit him for another 3 months or so.

carang is offline Registered User
    i ALWAYS buy my kids' clothes a little too big...and just roll up the cuffs.

my son had one pair of trousers that he wore from 18m-3.5yrs!!! THAT'S value for money!

i NEVER spend a lot on clothes. totally agree about how fast they outgrow them. to me it is terrible to spend even $200 on something. i would ONLY spend that much IF i knew my kids were going to wear them for quite a while. otherwise, everything is less than $110 or so, depending on what i'm buying.

my kids are older, though, 3 & 5...

forgot to say that things like pj's are ALWAYS passed down from boy to girl. socks can be, too... sometimes sweaters/jumpers can be, too....but that's about it.

City Jammer is offline Registered User
    I either get hand-me-downs from my friends whose kids have outgrown them or I go shopping at Fa Yuen St. I've shopped at the Stanely Market as well but Fa Yuen St has similar stuff but cost a lot less. I've bought outfits for $29 to less than $50 and then see the same clothes selling in Stanley Market for $90 and above. Usually, I shop every three to six months.

hbw10 is offline Registered User
    I think it depends on what child - if it's your first, you tend to buy more than if it's your 2nd. Then if it's the same gender as your 1st child, you will spend practically zero for the first year or two. I definitely bought a lot of stuff for the first 6 months as I gave birth abroad without any family etc....When we moved to HK when my son was 6 months, I must have spent @ $600-$700 HKD over a two month period and then would buy clothing in Stanley for the awk months of not fitting into 9 months anymore, but too small for 12 month clothing. I could spend $200 HKD for about 7-8 pieces. Now my son is 2 and we don't really buy any clothing until we go home to the States for the summer where we do a massive run. I buy clothing a year or 2 in advance since all of the summer sales are happening then too.

thanka2 is offline Registered User
    I buy clothes for my son just prior to season's change (or if I come across something that I think he could wear next season that is on sale etc.) I always shop at outlet stores away from the city center. There are a few really good ones near the MTR station in Jordan or I live out in the New Territories and buy some good stuff in Yuen Long. Also Fa Yuen Gai (Flower Garden Street) market (just opposite to Ladies Market street) in Mong Kok is a fantastic place to go. I rarely spend $30 HKD or more on one item of clothing and usually they are name-brand clothes (Carter's, for example) from an outlet. I can walk out of the shop with an entire season's wardrobe for my 2.5-year-old for under $200 HKD. It was actually even much cheaper than this before he was 1-year-old. As he gets older, I end up paying more per item. It was actually kind of like sticker shock when I had to start paying $30 HKD for some of his shirts because before I never spent more than $15 HKD/shirt! I actually don't think I'll ever be able to bring myself to shop for him even at places like H&M because their prices just seem outrageous (even the sale ones) compared to what I pay and what value I get. I'm always on the hunt and have even found some cute pieces in the clothes stalls in our wet market as well.

AmyH is offline Registered User
    My husband works away a lot and has to visit places like India, Sri Lanka etc so he picks up a lot of cheap clothes when he is away. I always stock up in Primarks when we head back to the UK. Don't really buy too much in Hong Kong, except when we see something in Stanley or in the lanes. When I am buying in the UK I tend to stock up so my daughter had 0 - 3, 3- 6 and 6-9 month stuff when she was born. she is starting to grow out of these now but we are going back to the UK in three weeks so I will be buying her 9 - 12, 12 - 18 months clothes when I am there.

geomum is offline Registered User
    I did not spend much buying baby clothes for my kids, only packs of onesies. Honestly I think its a waste of money buying things like shoes for a baby when he can't even walk, and other things of the sort. For my daughter I buy expensive things which I know she will wear through out the season and always buy one size bigger. Otherwise its Mothercare and M&S (When they are on sale), Stanley, H&M. I shop every 2 months or so.