Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Strange sleep development

hkmom1 is offline Registered User

I had the same issue and i also just let him cry it out. it took about 3 nights and first night he cried for a good 45 minutes. but now he goes to sleep by himself no problem or with just a minute or two of wimpering to wind down.

Obiwan is offline Registered User

hkmom1, how long did it take for the crying to reduce?

Obiwan is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by Sazzy View Post
    LisainHK - How about dropping to 2 naps? Every mum knows their own baby so its up to you. Or you could try waking him early from his last nap??

Obiwan - what times does your baby currently nap?
    Hi Sazzy, 10+am, 2+pm, for a total of 2 hours a day.

Lisainhk is offline Registered User

I did that too HKmom1 and he cried for 1 hour. It was torture! But the last few nights he hasn't had much problem at all going to bed which is good. But he has decided to wake up 3 hours earlier and stay awake hehe. Sigh. If it's not one thing it's another.

bumbeeno is offline Registered User

Hi! I'm so glad you guys are discussing this! It's actually something I've been thinking a lot about lately and wanted to hear what other mums have to say. Like you, Lisa, I've always nursed my 9 month old baby to sleep at night but have been meaning to stop doing that so that he can learn to go to sleep by himself in the evenings (he does that for naps fine albeit with some crying). This is mainly to help him learn how to go back to sleep on his own when he wakes up in the middle of the night. Currently he needs help getting back to sleep when he does a night waking and the only way he can do so is if I nurse him - he won't fall asleep on the breast but somehow that comforts him to a point that when I put him back down, awake, he goes back to sleep after that. I would like him to learn that now rather than when he becomes a toddler when it would be a much harder task (his paed tells me I have waited too long already!).

Currently, his bedtime is 7pm. Sometimes he wakes just once a night (about 4-5am) and sometimes twice (2am and 5am). This is what I'm not sure about:

- If he wakes just once, say at 5am, do I use CIO in view of the fact that he's just slept 10 hours straight and maybe has had enough sleep for the night? Is it better to let him get up for the day rather than have him CIO until 7am when it's time to get up anyway?

- If he wakes twice, once at 2am (and I let him CIO back to sleep) and again at 4-5am, would it work to use CIO again for the second waking or let him get up for the day?

Currently, he manages to go back to sleep if he wakes at 2am (when I let him nurse). Lately, he hasn't been able to go back to sleep (doesn't want to sleep anymore) after his 5am waking (even with nursing), irrespective of whether he had a 2am waking :( So that's prompted me to decide I need to stop putting off the sleep training (and being a coward!).

Also for those of you who used CIO successfully, did you find the Ferber method effective or did your baby just get more agitated each time you went into the room?

Are there bad times to try CIO e.g. if bub has separation anxiety?

I hope all that made sense... really thanks in advance for even just reading, hoping to hear from some of you!

southside852 is offline Registered User

we ferberized my son successfully at 7/8 months. If he woke up at 2am, we definitely let him CIO. Our pediatrician (both in HK and in the US) said, our son did not need anything to drink and has enough throughout the day to sustain himself through the night. It took about 2-3 nights to get rid of the 2am wake-up. Yes, the crying is tough, but at 9 months your baby is stronger and our cried about 30-40 mins the most.

The 5am wake-up is harder as a 9 month yr old usually needs around 11 hrs of sleep at night. What would he do if you left him? Would he play in his crib? or just cry?

My son is 28 months now and sleeps through the night (finally) in a big bed, but there is the occassional 5:15am wake-up. I tend to quickly go in and give him sip of water, then walk right out - all business, no eye contact and I act as if it's still night time. This has worked almost every single time and he sleeps another hour.

Maybe put him to bed at 7:30pm? what are you doing before bedtime? Is he sufficiently tired?

jvn
    jvn is offline Registered User

Interesting thread - my son is 8 months and the last couple of nights gone from perfect sleeper to a bit of a nightmare.

Well, I guess some of it is jet lag as we just got back from Europe but it seems really extreme and not getting any better with time. He's waking every hour/two hours, standing up in his cot and really screaming. I go in and lie him down without eye contact and go out again but don't tend to leave him to cry for more than about 5 minutes - mainly because I feel a bit sorry for our neighbours... as it's at intervals all through the night it just doesn't seem fair on them to let him cry too long.

I'm going to continue with this for a bit longer and if it doesn't work I'll try CIO out and the neighbours (and husband) will just have to suffer.

carey is offline Registered User

Hi bumbeeno,
    We slept train our son with CIO when he was 7 month old.
    I meant to use a more middle of the road approach with checking. But he just got more upset when I went in. So, for the first few nights, my husband hid in his room to make sure he does not hurt himself because all the hard crying.

It looks like your son is a much better sleeper than mine. He was fully on breastmilk (I went full time pumping) before 7 month old. He used to wake up 3 to 4 times to drink a night. He never slept the recommended time amont for his age.

Since sleep training, he is doing a lot better, still an hour or so short of 14 hours of sleeping time a day, recommended time for his age.

At 11 month, he still drinks one to two times formula a night.

Listening to his crying is tough. Good luck.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast