Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Ergo Sport vs. Baby Bjorn Synergy

KukiMomster is offline Registered User

Question Ergo Sport vs. Baby Bjorn Synergy

hi all! just wondering if anyone here has used these carriers in HK.

im due this july and would like some comments on these fairly new-release carriers before i get one.

i used to own a Baby Bjorn Active but found it too hot for the HK climate. didnt think the back support did much "supporting" once the baby gets heavier. carrying the baby for over an hour just puts too much strain on my back, and it was just too hot for both me and my baby. nevertheless, it was still the best of the many carriers ive used (mothercare carrier, hip carrier, slings...) which were all strainful to use beyond 10mins.

im looking into purchasing the ergo, after much googling. ive never tried an ergo, but the prices on the bjorns have shot up so much that the cheaper price tags on the ergo are more appealing. ($1500 for the Synergy, $1K for the Ergo Sport)

but i do want to invest on something that would be comfortable for both baby and i.

i hope someone out there has tried either one of these carriers. i would love to hear your comments, as other similar threads are pretty out-dated Thanks!!!

Nashua852 is offline Registered User

I'm crazy about the Ergo:

- used baby bjorn with my 1st until he was 9 months old. I remember going to bumps to babes and trying the Ergo on and I bought it immediately. The difference was incredible and I felt like I was getting a new lease on being able to do things with my baby again. That day we did HK Park/CWB library. I remember how happy we both were.

- I used the Ergo with my 1st until he was 16 - 17 months old, not because he got too heavy but because I was pregnant at the time and could not keep carrying him. The other day I put my son (now 2 years 4 mths) in it for a laugh and he wasnt completely weightless but it was more than bearable.

- I use the ERGO now with my 6 month old. From birth with the infant insert (which I purchased when I became pregnant with her) and this was terrific with breastfeeding, and had her very comfortable during winter. It was also nice to have a handy changemat no matter where we were. I've actually walked around IKEA breastfeeding her when she was about 2 months old, shopping with my husband and nobody was any wiser.

I'll continue to use this product for as long as I can.

In HK we use public transport a lot. I believe in investing in products that make a genuine difference and this was one of them. Totally worth the money.

Proud Mama to Kian Danyaal 08.12.2007 & Adara Michelle 10.10.2009

Thumbs up yes to ergo!

Quote Originally Posted by Nashua852 View Post
    I'm crazy about the Ergo:

- used baby bjorn with my 1st until he was 9 months old. I remember going to bumps to babes and trying the Ergo on and I bought it immediately. The difference was incredible and I felt like I was getting a new lease on being able to do things with my baby again. That day we did HK Park/CWB library. I remember how happy we both were.

- I used the Ergo with my 1st until he was 16 - 17 months old, not because he got too heavy but because I was pregnant at the time and could not keep carrying him. The other day I put my son (now 2 years 4 mths) in it for a laugh and he wasnt completely weightless but it was more than bearable.

- I use the ERGO now with my 6 month old. From birth with the infant insert (which I purchased when I became pregnant with her) and this was terrific with breastfeeding, and had her very comfortable during winter. It was also nice to have a handy changemat no matter where we were. I've actually walked around IKEA breastfeeding her when she was about 2 months old, shopping with my husband and nobody was any wiser.

I'll continue to use this product for as long as I can.

In HK we use public transport a lot. I believe in investing in products that make a genuine difference and this was one of them. Totally worth the money.
    thanks for the reply, Nashua! just what i needed to hear from a fellow mommy! :bighug
    i wouldve loved to try out the ergos at B2B but simply impossible with my belly in the way!

i looove the fact that you could discreetly breastfeed ur baby in the ergo. too many pervs in HK! LOL!
    tho i am a little concerned with using it from birth as i see pics with the baby in an upright sitting position and legs to the side... i wonder if its comfy for baby, and alright for her back. also, must it be used with the insert? i read somewhere that using a little blankie would be alright.

btw, have u seen the ergo backpacks that u could just snap on to the carrier? they look pretty cool too! saw it on doubidou.com
    wish they had it in B2B tho... just so i could see the actual product.

well, thanks again for ur reply, ill surely be getting myself an ergo sport. will just have to decide if ill be ordering online or going down to B2B.

southside852 is offline Registered User

yep, same as the above posters. we first had the bjorn until around 7 months - it totally killed my back. switched to ergo and could use it until he was around 13 - 14 months and loved it. you can also use it when they are bigger - it just goes on your back instead of a front carrier.

Panda2010 is offline Registered User

Im a big fan of the Ergo. You can use it as a back, front or side carrier. I used it alot and it is tested for up to 40lbs not that i would ever carry a 40lbs child. I found it great at airports!!

penelope is offline Registered User

I used both and I think the baby bjorn is better from birth till 5/6 month.
    The insert on the Ergo will make it very hot for you and your baby especially if you re due in July. Switch for the Ergo after 6 month. You can probably find both second hand to keep the price down

lisa88 is offline Registered User

I started out with the Baby Bjorn then switched to Ergo after baby outgrew the Baby Bjorn at 8 months. The Baby Bjorn was great. The best thing was that it was front facing and she loved it. I delayed getting the Ergo only because it was rear-facing. No choice really, by the time she hit 9 kg she had obviously outgrown the BB and I got the Ergo. Ergo is great as well, only thing is when baby is rear-facing she twists around to try to see where we are heading. I put her in the back sometimes but she is always trying to peep over my shoulder, plus I can't really see what she is doing. Anyway the Ergo serves its purpose, last weekend I took her walking around Shing Mun reservoir in the Ergo, must have been 6km at least and 3 hours!! Still have not got a proper backpack-frame type of carrier!

If you are interested I have the second hand BB Synergy for sale, used for less than 6 months. (Before that I had the Baby Bjorn Active). PM me for details.

We used the public transport most of the time so the baby carrier got more use than the stroller.

Thumbs up

thank you penelope, panda and southside for your comments!

same here. i remember putting away my bjorn active and switching to a stroller when my son turned 6mos or so when he got heavier. i wasnt at all aware of the ergo back then as ive always had my eyes set on the bjorns. and i thought the lumbar support on the active was brilliant in comparison to other carriers.

i really think im going to love the ergo, having read all the great comments from everyone here and reviews on other forums.

i checked out the ergo sport at B2B the other day and i loved how soft the fabric was. i definitely preferred it over the original ergo which i thought was a little too bulky with the thicker paddings and the canvas (or whatever that was) material. but im sure that would be suitable to use in cooler climates, and of course, heavier babies.

the infant insert does seem to be pretty thick to use during my baby's first couple of months, judging by the pics and vids online. i actually missed checking that box out. i examined the sucking pads tho! :D has anyone used those pads? are they worth buying?

well, i cant wait to have my ergo...

and i cant wait to have my baby!! :D 3mos to go!!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast