Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Christening present

Frenchy is offline Registered User

Christening present

We are going to my friend's baby christening in a few months, and it will take place in France. I would like to offer something original for the baby, as the custom is to offer something like a bracelet, a medal, or a silver cup...
    I was thinking about a little tailored made bracelet with white pearls and jade pearls... do you have any idea where I can have this made ?

Also, I'm not really aware of what people offer to a chinese baby (for the 100 days event ?). I'd be really interested to know what the customs are in Hong kong.

Thanks in a advance !

louisouis is offline Registered User
    People usually give gold or red packets. gold bracelets and neckalaces are popular espectiall the ones with animal pendents of the child's chinese horoscope.
    You can easily get a bracelet of white pearls and jade pearls at the jade market, which sells 'tourist grade' stuff.

if you want high quality jade, you can look around the professional jade shops in yau ma tei. Or you can go to jewellery shops or 'china creative arts' (i think at tst near star ferry or wanchai) Lane crawford also stocks jade.

Jade can be tricky to buy as some of them are just 'injected' rocks and the colours will fade over time. I kow of jade connossieurs who have been duped as they are getting really good at faking stuff.

ask the shop keeper to send it to the independent lab nearby for a test, they will be able to indicate whether the jade is natural or not. Don't accept any tests conducted by the shop.

loupou is offline Baby Guru
    A little golden charm w/ the Chinese zodiac animal of the child in question would be cute and easy to find at Chow Tai Fuk or any standard gold or jewlery shop.

If you want a present that combines Chinese themes w/ Christianity (you mentioned it is a christening present) - you can find some lovely things at the St. John's Cathedral Bookstore, especially wooden carvings.

St John's Cathedral

Frenchy is offline Registered User
    Thank you for these lovely ideas and the tips !! I'll have a look at the zodiac pendants and will try to find some nice jade (good to know also for myself !!).

mcdill is offline Registered User
    Just Gold has a nice baby collection.