Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Cockroaches... be honest with me please! :)

matemate is offline Registered User
    bel-air or not really has nothing to do with it. roaches can be anywhere and they can live off their own dirt. so cleanliness is rarely the key issue (though a clean place helps).

fumigating to erase the eggs is the first step in my view. second would be to check all the entry points and close them off. that includes window fans, windows, especially before thunder storms as roaches sense a thunder storm a few hours ahead of humans and will enter apartments (especially bathrooms) at such times.

the single most likely entry points in my view are: gaps underneath the entrance doors (isn't your rubbish collection outside on the corridor?), kitchen floor drain pipe (especially when it ends underneath your cabinet and not directly in your kitchen floor) and kitchen windows/fans (as they are close to outside wall pipes).

this is from experience of living in high floor apartments (30/F up)

@dorable is offline Registered User
    Thanks for the replies! :)

Trying a fumigation place is the obvious choice but as stated.. it was only treated 'in prevention' 3 weeks ago.

I think its more of an issue with this tower... especially if we aren't the only ones it is affecting.

I lived on the 30th floor before and like i said, did not see ONE. Maybe i was just too god damn lucky then...

Preventing entry points was done last time too, ppl came to fit strips on the outside doors, fill any gaps by pipes etc..

You know maybe this is a one off...
    I hope so.
    & I really hope I have not spoken too soon.. lol...

My point in saying the complex was because regarding THIS issue, they have been useless...

I guess i have to accept that they live amongst us! :swoman

nicolejoy is offline Registered User
    Get some spray (I like Biokill because it's not toxic to us) and spray over all the entry points and wherever you see them. We had cockroaches at our old place and didn't want to fumigate because we were moving out soon anyway - we just used the Biokill and it was really effective. I sprayed at all the windows and doorways etc... it can't hurt!!

But I do think that if it's a tower-wide problem it'll be near impossible to get rid of. You need to get management to spray all the common areas as well...

@dorable is offline Registered User
    thanks for that nicole.. will look out for it on my travels...

Hoping that was what was done yesterday as heard voices and a smell of something outside my kitchen door yesterday so hopefully they took note of all my hubbys complaining...

& boy can he moan!
    (when he needs too.... ;) )

FutureHKmom is offline Registered User
    Nicolejoy - where do you buy Biokill? Can you use it in the kitchen? We keep a clean house and the only place that we occasionally see a cockroach is in the kitchen - and they only come out at night! We live in the 43rd floor!!

nicolejoy is offline Registered User
    I bought it from International - I think you can get it at most grocery stores though. I used it all over my kitchen benches etc... but it just can't come into contact with food so spray away from the food. We sprayed all over the kitchen counter and left it for a day (just didn't use the counter) and then wiped the counter thoroughly before we used it again.

FutureHKmom is offline Registered User
    Thanks Nicolejoy!

geomum is offline Registered User
    @dorable depends on the source of the cockroaches, if they are coming from the drains then it means they are in the sewage and eradicating them 100% is not possible. You can manage them somehow by regular spraying.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12