Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

When should I stop??

FutureHKmom is offline Registered User

Not lifting above your head....interesting...what about hanging clothes in your closet? that's lifting something (very light though) above your head....

carey is offline Registered User

I have been wondering about this too. I, in fact, thought that I have to stop holding and playing with my son once I am pregnant.

Well, I read that it's true that you should not lift heavy thing ( over 25 pounds) when you are pregnant. I am not pregnany yet. But we are thinking to try for our second at the end of the year. By then, my toddler will be heavier than 25 pounds.

But after reading this thread, I learn that so many mothers are lifting their little one and it should be fine then.

jane01 is offline Registered User

As long as you're fit and healthy, I wouldn't worry.

I recall running to catch a plane, carrying my 2.5 year old whilst 35 weeks pregnant. My husband was carrying the bags, which were probably lighter, ha ha. The domestic Qantas flight from Canberra was late and we almost missed the SYD-HK flight. Thank you Cathay for letting us on !

pixelelf is offline Registered User

just came back from the gynae today, who from the very first visit told me i CANNOT carry my toddler anymore, at 5.5weeks pregnancy. today's our 7th week into pregnancy, and i was spotting. he did a check and said my uterus was bleeding abit, but the baby is developing and seems fine. and casted a look at my toddler, saying i should stop running after him and carrying him.

seriously. who will then? im here without any helper, in the process of finding one, and until then what? life stops for my toddler and me? how can that be?

sorry to rant. im just upset and i dunno what to think.

OX Jess is offline Registered User

[QUOTE=Sazzy;953467]IThis will sound silly but my mum says that I shouldnt stretch and put my arms over my head as this will make the umbilical cord go around the baby's neck!!

Yes, Sazzy, my mother-in-law told me exactly the same thing when I was pregnant. Having umbilical cord go around the baby's neck sounds too horrid. So you know what, my husband blew dry my hair all through my pregnancy :lovedface Not to mention those clothes hanging work, which I was completely forbidden to touch! :missingto

Gataloca is offline Registered User

I think you just have to listen to your body. If you can manage it, then just keep doing it. If you feel that you cannot handle it, then stop.

I agree with Nicolejoy that we are just pregnant, not invalids. I really get tired of people telling me that I should rest, and shouldn't do this or that, when I am feeling completely fine to do so (I am currently 29 week pregnant).

Pregnant women need proper amount of exercise. When you play and carry your child, or do other kind of physical activities, you strengthen your muscle and your heart. That make it easier for you to carry on the remaining of your pregnancy.

Gataloca is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by pixelelf View Post
    just came back from the gynae today, who from the very first visit told me i CANNOT carry my toddler anymore, at 5.5weeks pregnancy. today's our 7th week into pregnancy, and i was spotting. he did a check and said my uterus was bleeding abit, but the baby is developing and seems fine. and casted a look at my toddler, saying i should stop running after him and carrying him.

seriously. who will then? im here without any helper, in the process of finding one, and until then what? life stops for my toddler and me? how can that be?

sorry to rant. im just upset and i dunno what to think.
    Sorry to hear that, Pixelelf. On my first pregnancy, I was also bleeding at around week 7. Went to the doctor, and he saw the heartbeat and everything. I thought everything was fine... I continued my normal routine, the bleeding got worse, and had a miscarriage few days later.

I would really advise you to have absolute bed rest, at least until the bleeding stop. Do you have anybody who could help you for few days? Telling the truth, early miscarriage is very common, specially before week 8. If anything bad happen, you would not want to blame yourself for not having followed the doctor advice.

Of course, I do wish you the best, and hope that your little one will be fine. I know how stressful it could be.

Frenchy is offline Registered User

I'm 30 weeks pregnant, and since the beginning I've been playing with my son, carrying him, and my grocery shopping, and my bag, and the stroller when I need to take the bus, and blow dry my hair and never heard about the arms over the head... my baby is fine, no umbilical cord around the neck, and I'm fine too ! I'm just careful when I need to carry something to balance my body properly, to push on my legs and not on my back, and to have enough rest. Sincerely this second pregnancy is even easier than the first one, even though I had plenty of time to rest and not toddler to keep busy. Seems more exercice is the solution, at least for me :)
    Pixelelf, if you need a hand to keep your son busy so you can get some rest, please just ask !!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast