Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Baby Led Weaning

TNT
    TNT is offline Banned
    jvn I agree with both you and Happyvalleygirl about the eating out anyway, exactly what you said, it is very easy!

nicolejoy is offline Registered User
    I always gave my girl bits of what we're eating. Now at 18 months, a lot of the time she prefers the adult menu to the kids menu. It does make it so much easier to feed her, for sure. And I think if they can eat it, go for it.

I do think though that there is some sense in introducing new foods one at a time to see if there are any allergies. My daughter has no allergies so it wouldn't have been an issue - but if you were introducing a bunch of things at once and there was a reaction, it would be much more of a nightmare to try and figure out which ingredient was the culprit!! And allergies are not that uncommon. Most they will grow out of though...

jvn
    jvn is offline Registered User
    I agree with everyone too :-)

It's a good point about the allergies, we started off with a fairly limited palette of food but after a week or so with no severe reactions offered him a lot more variety - we don't have a history of allergies in the family so weren't that worried, I'd certainly have done it differently if we'd had a history bad reactions.

A bit off topic but I sometimes wonder if the increase in allergies is related, in part, to the increase in variety of food we have access to, not just being in HK but in most supermarkets in UK there are heaps of things I'd never even heard of in the '70's and '80's.

Lisainhk is offline Registered User
    I really must get my hands on this book! I think a trip to Central Dymocks is in order. My 8 month old barely eats the purees, hates the tastes. I've started trying him with steamed sliced apples and some cut up bananas and he had a lot of fun but didn't really eat it. I guess it takes time for them to get used to it. I'll try him with sweet potato tomorrow. He has 4 teeth so he likes biting the food but then spits it out, puts it back in his mouth and repeats the process. I really like the idea of baby led weaning. Must get the book. I think my problem is that I still see him as a tiny baby and am really scared to let him try real food! He seems too little still! I'm terrified that he will choke. But the main problem is that I just plain am clueless about what he can and can't eat and how to go about it. Once again, I must get that book! Sunday...

Aava.Wong is offline Registered User
    i do a lot of googling (what would i do without google?!) on weaning, the solid foods and self-feeding, etc. but i do worry about him choking too so he is currently fed pureed veggies/meat/rice, he has his bread/biscuits dipped with milk and has the odd nibble on a peeled piece of apple every now and then.

when we're having our meals, i tend to give him whatever is on my plate but in very small pieces. the thing with my bub is that he likes being fed but won't take the initiation to feed himself so i'm just waiting for him to take that step next - soon!

he weaned himself from the breastmilk so i'm just going to get baby-led once again and again and again.

jvn
    jvn is offline Registered User
    I was worried about choking to begin with and the boy did a lot of gagging and nearly stopped my heart on several occasions during the first couple of weeks but now, two months in, I don't even think about it any more.

The idea is that blw babies learn how to deal with food first by feeling it and picking it up, learning about size and texture. Then by putting it into their mouths and adding taste to texture. Then after that they learn about chewing and actually moving the food around their mouths and finally, about swallowing. The gagging is them learning how to deal with lumps of food that are too big by moving it from the back to the front of their mouth.

The idea is that by allowing them to go at their own pace, their eating keeps pace with their development, i.e. they are not able to get food from the table into their mouths until they are capable of manipulating the food once it is in their mouth, hence the risk of choking is lowered.

That's all just so much theory, but for us blw works because the boy enjoys it and we haven't had a problem with choking. (Choking is silent as no air can get into the lungs, gagging is loud and is the baby moving the food away from the back of their mouth.)

Lisa, lots of mums try blw as some babies are just to independent to do spoon feeding :-) I also think for some babies they don't like the surprise of not knowing how a spoonful of food is going to taste, imagine if you were expecting baby rice and got a spoonful of stewed apple, I wouldn't like it! I've got a copy of the book if you want to borrow it.

Aava, just wondering how small the pieces you are giving him are, if he doesn't have pincer grip yet then it might be a problem picking smaller pieces up and getting them to his mouth? We found the most successful first food was spiral (fusilli) pasta as it was easy to pick up and soft enough to swallow easily.

This is a great resource which I used a lot to find out about good first foods etc.. baby led weaning :: Main Page

Twoee is offline Registered User
    I decided to start baby-led weaning as soon as my wee bub can sit on his own. Reading all that you have written has removed any doubts that I had. :)
    Now my only worry is that I'll have to share my hargow with him... haha

Lisainhk is offline Registered User
    Yes we will definitely keep trying it. I think he is definitely too 'independent' for the spoon feeding. He just takes the spoon from me, wipes all the food off it with his fingers and chews on the opposite end of the spoon. Baby led weaning doesn't seem any messier than trying the purees anyway hah.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast