Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Baby Led Weaning

happyvalleygirl is offline Registered User
    Lisainhk - just try your 8mth old with regular food that you eat. You may be surprised with what he can cope with! Since he has teeth and likes biting, he is most likely frustrated with puree food that has no texture. Gagging is a natural reflex. Scary the first time I will admit, but he needs to do it in order to eat safely. All part of the learning process. So far H as choked once and that was right at the beginning. It lasted all of 5 seconds and there was lots of noise so maybe it was more of a big gag?! I think as long as the food is big enough to hold and then some, then he will only bite off the right size. If the piece is too small then, gagging/choking may occur.

Aava - use big chunks of food. He needs to be able to hold it as well as have enough outside his grip to put in his mouth. He may well try to put it all in his mouth but he will spit some out!

Even now, H will seriously overload his mouth but he will spit some out so that he can actually eat the rest.

jvn - I like your allergies post (yesterday). It gave me food for thought (ignore the pun!) I read somewhere that unless your family has a history of allergies you shouldn't hold off giving your baby a certain food. The longer you leave it the more likely a dislike/allergy can happen.

Happy eating!

Aava.Wong is offline Registered User
    Aava, just wondering how small the pieces you are giving him are, if he doesn't have pincer grip yet then it might be a problem picking smaller pieces up and getting them to his mouth? - he picks (and drops) things pretty well but think he's used to the helper feeding him even though i've told her to let him pick it up. she doesn't like the mess and neither do i but he has to learn somehow. she along with my bub is getting the hang of it now. he choked twice yesterday while eating a slice of apple and i nearly got a heart-attack!!!

Aava - use big chunks of food. He needs to be able to hold it as well as have enough outside his grip to put in his mouth. He may well try to put it all in his mouth but he will spit some out! - a slice of apple is just right for his grip and he nibbles it bit by bit under our hawk-eyes! he is ok on the biting of the top and the bottom parts but it's the small middle part that he's having trouble eating. as you said, he tries to take it all in or just throws it as a sign of giving up. i cut the remaining part into smaller pieces and let him finish it. job well done with a few hiccups. :missingto

Monty is offline Registered User
    I know I'm a bit slow on the response but just wanted to say thank you all for taking the time to respond. I loved reading about your experiences and attitudes towards infant feeding.

Now that bub is 6 months old we have started 'playing' with food. For the first few days I did start with a bit of rice cereal mixed with breastmilk but had a complete lack of interest from my boy. He found playing and munching on the spoon much more fun. Given he is so accurate with picking things up and putting them in his mouth and can sit pretty well now, I thought he might enjoy trying BLW. So far he has held, munched and swallowed banana, apple and butternut squash. He loves it and has so much fun with it. I find the whole process quite fascinating. It is amazing what he can handle!

I don't really think there is a 'right' way to introduce solids and agree with what was said about doing what's most comfortable for both mum and bub. I suppose the concern with purees is that there is this reported 'window of opportunity' for learning to chew (between 6 and 10 months) and that babies who are feed purees for too long will reject more textured foods if they are introduced too late.

I suppose if you plan to give BLW a go you do really need to stay on top of the milk feeds and make sure they remain the main source of nutrition in the first year. I find it crazy that some pediatricians in HK tell mums that after 6 months there is no nutritional need for breastmilk anymore!

Thanks for the links to the blogs about BLW. I've enjoyed reading about other people's experiences with BLW.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123