Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Health insurance with the best maternity plan in HK?

rani is offline Administrator
    WOW $7000 is high!

jvn
    jvn is offline Registered User
    Yes it is, I think we pay somewhere in the region of 3.5k USD with no excess but then I'm old too :-)

hkexpat2010 is offline Registered User
    Wonder why my quote was so high. Will check into it!

Thanks for sharing your info everyone!

Capergirl is offline Registered User
    hkexpat2010,
    I went through PrimePacific/Kwiksure. I spoke with a representative on the phone and he sent me some quotations and thought that DKV would be a good company for me (I was looking for full maternity coverage). I can send you the representative contact info if you'd like.

I chose the Top plan and the insurance only covers me. My husband has BASIC health insurance with Bupa through his company.

Hope this helps,
    I forgot to mention that I am 31.

hkexpat2010 is offline Registered User
    hi capergirl,

i also got a quote from prime pacific. since i'm a us citizen i'm looking at plans that include us cover. it's around 3000usd for 1.5 months of US cover per year and 6,800usd for 3 months US cover at a time.

i think i'm going to go with dkv as well. will let you know how it goes!

spud is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Capergirl View Post
    hkexpat2010,

I signed with DKV in March. They have FULL maternity coverage (with the exception of an elective cesarean) and only an 8 month waiting period! They have full dental coverage as well.

We checked out a few companies and this one was by far the best for us. It is about $2,500 USD for the year but when you consider the high cost to go private, this is very reasonable. I have already made 2 claims (pap test and chicken pox vaccination) and I received full reimbursement within 3 weeks.

My husband and I are going to start trying this summer. If we do get pregnant then we will have to pay for the first few appointments but after the waiting period (Nov.) everything will be covered.
    Hi hkexpat2010,

Sorry - but am new to all this.
    For someone who will be trying to get pregnant and considering Marternity Cover for the first time, what do you mean by "the waiting period"?

Am looking to go semi-public/private. Can't afford fully private and happy enough to have delivery in public but want insurance in case of any complications before, during and after birth of childbirth

jvn
    jvn is offline Registered User
    Most insurance companies have a 'waiting period' for maternity cover so that you can't find out you're pregnant, sign up for cover and then charge all the costs to the company. DKV has the shortest waiting period of 8 months, most are around a year. That means that you sign up for them and you have to wait for 8 months to elapse before you can make any maternity related claims.

For example if you found yourself pregnant in the 5th month of the 8 month waiting period you would not be able to claim for your appointments, scans, drugs, tests etc in the first 3 months of your pregnancy but after the 8 months have elapsed you can claim for everything from that date forward.

That's how it works with DKV anyway, I asked lots of questions before I signed up with them.

Another good question to ask when you're researching insurance is to ask if they treat "successful" and "non-successful" (sorry, that's the term they seem to use) pregnancies differently, some have a much lower limit for the "non-successful" pregnancies but on occasion a miscarriage would require expensive medical intervention and horrible to find out you aren't fully covered if the worst happens. I think DKV treats both the same (which is how it should be).

Also, ask what coverage the baby gets immediately after birth and how soon they need to be insured under their own policy - important if they are born with a condition requiring treatment. What their policy is for twins and multiple births? Is their limit per pregnancy or per year (important if you have two very close together ;-), and if they have a separate limit for complications e.g. emergency c-section.

Good luck with your research!
    Last edited by jvn; 09-14-2010 at 01:59 PM.

*jellybean* is offline Registered User
    Does anyone know if DKV covers an epidural?

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast