Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Health insurance with the best maternity plan in HK?

zzsp23 is offline Registered User
    Okay, yes there is still the TOP plan available without a pregnancy limit. Apparently it's expected that the premium will rise soon OR this unlimited benefit will be capped.
    I'm now looking at CIGNA, BUPA and waiting on a quote back from AVIVA. The maternity benefits are capped, but using the Matilda prices as a maximum benchmark with an emergency caesarean + private room, these limits should be okay. Unless somehow I have twins. In which case the DKV plan would definitely have come in handy :)

Does anyone plan to keep their insurance after the pregnancy?

stiwi is offline Registered User
    I have done an extensive research recently for medical insurance for myself and wife which would include maternity cover. DKV Globality seems to be the best choice, as their plans are "unlimited" - there is no annual limit like most companies have.

I even filled an application form with Globality already, however they excluded my wife's high myopia and all related conditions (which are not in place now!) that I found ridiculous. There are also 2 important things to consider in regards to DKV:
    1. This insurance cannot be continued once you are back to your home country. That means, if you are not expat one day, it stops working.
    2. They don't cover for elective c-section delivery.

Now I am considering Bupa International. Insurance cover can be kept if you decide to go back to your home country - which I find important, because if you would have some conditions in place, they will be excluded by any new insurer... Secondly, they cover for elective c-section up to the childbirth and maternity allowance (€8.100 + €2.500). If medically necessary however, c-section limit is twice the childbirth allowance (€16.250).

I didn't find any other insurer which would cover for elective c-section.

zzsp23 is offline Registered User
    The continuation of policy after pregnancy was also a factor for me. I didn't want to be "stuck" with a particular insurer if a condition popped up that would be excluded by other insurers.

jvn
    jvn is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by spud View Post
    However, after hearing from some people that they could be in a pretty unstable financial position (querying how they could continue paying out so much full maternity costs with such low premiums with some predictions of them even going bust or higher probability of premiums increasing to unexpected rates in your 2nd year of cover) I decided a more 'stable' and reliable insurance company would be better in the long run.

But then after hearing how so many have successfully received full payment on their claims with DKV so far I am in two minds again!

Is this satisfaction with DKV going to be short-lived?

Are DKV offering the best deal to get good reviews from people to lure more people to take out their policies as quick as possible to make up for their losses and if unsuccessful, will they do a runner?

Whether the rumours remain just rumours or whether what DKV offers is "too good to be true" will be interesting to see.

I hope the positive stories about DKV remain to be true in the long run as I am still undecided and could still consider them. Luckily I have lots of time to wait and research as not in desperate rush to take out a policy soon.

However, when the day comes when I have to make a decision, is there an insurance policy for your insurance policy?
    I don't think the DKV is too good to be true at all, it's not a cheap policy by any means and unlimited maternity cover if you go for the best cover is only a liability for them if a) you're pregnant - not everyone who plans to gets pregnant straight away so it could be years in some cases of someone paying those premiums without claiming and b) you have a highly complicated pregnancy.

As another poster mentioned having the top policy for DKV is fantastic if you have a complex pregnancy and/or twins but for most people the average level of cover offered by most other insurers will be all they'll ever need anyway.

Unlimited cover is not the same as claiming an unlimited amount! It's a nice feeling to have the extra cover but the reality is that for most pregnancies the costs are pretty standard and predictable - you only claim for the treatments you have so DKV won't be carrying much more risk than the other insurers that have a cap of around what a normal pregnancy costs - and their slight extra risk of possible higher costs is reflected in the premium.

Personally my experience of DKV is that they have poor administrative systems and as a result they are slow to pay claims but I've never encountered a problem with them refusing to pay or had any other indication that their business model isn't sound. They did raise our premiums in the second year and of course it would have been nice if they hadn't ;-) but the rise wasn't punitive or out of line with what I'd expect for other insurers.

hkexpat2010 is offline Registered User
    Update on DKV claims submission: I've submitted several claims for general Dr. visits and pregnancy related visits and (knock on wood!) have happily been reimbursed 100%. After the insurance broker gave me a direct email to send my scanned claims to, I got a much faster response (ie email acknowledging they receive claim and approval email) from DKV. I also noticed I have an account with them so I can check the claims online, but I never realized it and still haven't tried it yet.

However, they did still screw up processing my monthly payment recently (ie skipped on month and then double billed the next month). It would have been nice to get a notice or something saying they made a mistake rather than finding out on my credit card bill...

From my perspective, overall, I'm very happy I have DKV with the unlimited coverage as I don't have to worry about how much the Dr, test, hospital, private room, etc will cost. There are too many other issues in HK already like which dr. should I go with, which dr. is accepting patients, can i get into a private hospital, etc, but at least the money part isn't a concern with DKV!

PS. They also raised my premium for the 2nd year, but by a reasonable amount.

*jellybean* is offline Registered User
    I'm on top cover $0 excess in my early thirties paying just under 2500 HKD per month.

All of my claims with DKV so far have been reimbursed 100%. As others have noted, their response times varies and can be slow, but they do come through in the end. One thing I've noticed though is that the reimbursed amount is always a little lower which I've always assumed factored in a Euro to HKD currency exchange fee.

I've had a Dr grumble about filling in a claim form, saying that xyz isn't normally covered by insurance, but in the end I submitted it and DKV did reimburse me the cost 100%, so I guess it nevers hurts to try.

missidealiste is offline Registered User
    Just update. I was informed that Maltida can bill DKV and IHI directly.
    Also IHI has been aquired by ihi bupa, so basically its refers as the same company.

jvn
    jvn is offline Registered User
    Yep, they don't pay the deposit in advance but they provide a letter of guarantee which Matilda will accept for the actual birth. We had to pay the deposit ourselves and will get it back hopefully in January ;-)

I had another procedure at Matilda and that had no deposit and was 100% covered by DKV's letter of guarantee so I didn't have to pay anything. It was very short notice and to be fair to DKV they moved very quickly to get the letter over to the hospital, so they can be efficient when it's urgent!

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast