Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

What were/are you immune against?

geocup Guest

What were/are you immune against?

What were/are you immune against before becoming pregnant? I am not immune against a few viruses but I am wondering if it is worth my time becoming vaccinated? I have spoken to many mothers and they mention how they never knew if they were immune to certain viruses or not.

Frenchy is offline Registered User
    Not sure what viruses you are talking about, but it's better to be immunised against rubeola (measles) as it's very dangerous when you are pregnant. I got my hepatitis vaccination before to come to HK, and I knew I was immunized against toxoplasmose for a long time (but there is no vaccination against it). I already had chickenpox too. Can't really think about something else...
    Do you have a vaccination book ?

mcdill is offline Registered User
    I did a blood test and found out I was not immune to rubella, so got the vaccination. If you get it, need to wait 1month before trying to conceive.

southside852 is offline Registered User
    yes, most everyone should be immune to rubella from childhood. i am pretty sure it was a requirement. your doctor will also do a blood test in your first trimester to find out as well about HIV, and any exposures to other virus. Living abroad, I would also get the Hep shots.

City Jammer is offline Registered User
    Hep B is a must for HK. I would recommend the chickenpox vaccine if you're not already immuned against it. And yes, the flu shot.

0ze_Kid is offline Registered User
    I would get tested to see what you have immunity to and then get what you can. Especially before TTC. I have to admit I did not but later found out that I had immunity to MMR but not to whopping cough (yes, they now have adult vaccine for this one and you should get it). I caught whopping cough between my DD's second vaccine but luckily she did not!

Capergirl is offline Registered User
    DEFINITELY get a pre-pregnancy check up. The Dr. will do a simple blood test to check if you are immune to chickenpox or rubella/measles. Remember that you need to wait 1-3 months before TTC since these vaccinations are live.

My husband and I are going to start trying to get pregnant this summer so I thought I should go for a pre pregnancy check-up. I wanted to make sure that I was immune to the chickenpox virus since I never had the virus as a child. The Dr. did a simple blood test to determine if I was immune. It turns out I NEVER had the chicken pox and I am not immune. I was shocked!! Over the past 8 years I have taught in schools where there were numerous outbreaks, yet I never got the virus.

The Dr. told me that there was no need for me to get the vaccination, since it wasn’t 100 % effective. She said that if I had the vaccination I could still get the chickenpox during pregnancy. I INSISTED that I should get the vaccination and reminded her about the birth defects (Limb abnormalities, including absence or underdevelopment, abnormal brain development, mental retardation, scarring of the skin ) She said she would find out some more information and get back to me. (So glad I went with my gut and argued with her about this)

She did get back to me and said that I should have the vaccination. I searched on the internet and found out that after two shots the vaccination is 99% effective. So I got the vaccinations (one month a part). The only problem is that you have to wait 1-3 months before TTC. The manufacturer says to wait 3 months but the Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices (ACIP) and the American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) recommend that pregnancy be avoided for 1 month. My husband and I want to start TTC in July (which would be 2 months after receiving the vaccination) but we are wondering if we should wait until August (after 3 months) before TTC. What would you do?

Gataloca is offline Registered User
    I got a blood test from the hospital when I got pregnant. They found that I don't have immunity against rubella. I was quite concerned at first, but as some people said from other forums, rubella is not as common now a day. Most of the kids get vaccinated against it.... And if I haven't had contact with the virus for 3X years, why should I worry now???

But of course, if you are planning to TTC, better get vaccinated now. That will give you a peace of mind.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Scroll to top