Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

schools for non-chinese speaking kids

wegetable is offline Registered User

schools for non-chinese speaking kids

My kids are going to be 3 and 5 years old when we relocate to Hong Kong next year, they don't speak Chinese at all. Most of internatioanl schools in H.K. are so difficult to get in, I am looking for a kindergarten and primary school who cater for non-chinese students and easy to get in but don't cost us an arm and a leg. We plan to stay H.K. for only 2-3 years so we don't need to get in some famous middle schools. I plan live on the H.K. side, any advice will be appreciated.

lesliefu is offline Registered User
    the 3 year old could try Woodlands Montessori - they have many locations...

southside852 is offline Registered User
    for some reason i giggled at this question as of course, there are a tons of schools for non-chinese on hk island! remember HK was formerly under British rule and is an international city. Like all major cities, there are schools for everyone depending on what your needs are.

my son when tutor time and while it is a bilingual school, there were tons of non-chinese students who did not speak the language, but whose parents felt it was important for them to have the exposure of language since they were living in asia. other pre-schools are sunshine house (mult. locations), Highgate at the Peak is based on the Waldorf method and like lesliefu mentioned above there's Woodlands both montessori and non-montessori depending on your preference of teaching method.

for your 5 yr old, there are the private international schools (canadian, french, german/swiss, HKIS etc...) and ESF schools.

wegetable is offline Registered User
    Thanks for you guys' input. I think my 3 years old will be O.K. wherever he goes, I supplement at home so he will be alright. My 5 yr old is my concern, I am aiming for one of the ESF schools, just hope that we can get in.

reei is offline Registered User

lottieclee is offline Registered User
    For the 5 year old... it's best to apply to ESF early. They should not have a problem taking you in. Children at ESF schools come and go anyways.

nessacarrie is offline Registered User
    it is not easy to get in to ESF schools cos the waiting lists are sooooo long. if you want to get in to ESF schools you should apply early. your 3 years old one probably you can get him a place if you want him to get in to ESF school when s/he is ready for Year 1 (5 years old).

the school fees of international schools are expensive but there is a school do take non-chinese speaking children - Sir Ellis Kadoorie School. that school is a government school.

carang is offline Registered User
    sorry, that information is totally incorrect. ESF do NOT take names except for the year preceding the enrollment year.

so, if your child will start when s/he is 5, then the EARLIEST you can put your name down is when they are 4.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast