Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Which Shangri-La???

e-mum is offline Registered User

Which Shangri-La???

I'm looking at the following hotels:

Shangri-La's Mactan Island Resort & Spa, Cebu
    Shangri-La's Tanjung Aru, Kota Kinabalu
    Shangri-La's Rasa Ria Resort, Kota Kinabalu

I have 3 kids aged 5yo and twins at 2.5yo.

1) Which of the above is the easiest in terms of travelling to the resort i.e. direct flight, no transit or connecting flight etc.
    2) What are the facilities like for kids for 5 and below?
    3) Which resort has lots of restaurants outside of the hotel which are within easy reach of the resort?

Thanks in advance.

BabyG is offline Registered User
    Shangri-La Rasa Ria is far from the airport and also from the centre of town. It is a nice hotel with a big beach but I would recommend it to people who like to stay at the resort. They have a nature reserve with baby orangutans but I am not sure if young kids are allowed.

Tanjung aru is a 10 minute drive from the airport, has a kids club, a small beach and you can take a 10 minute boat ride from there to the islands. It is close to town and has restaurants close by. There's a great spa as well!

MommyTo3 is offline Registered User
    I've stayed at 1 and 2, visited 3. At Mactan, oldest was 4y9m, twins were 2y3m. At KK, oldest was 5 1/2, twins a little over 3.

Mactan was very good when it comes to service, nice beach, not much to do around the hotel though (however, they do offer shuttle service to Cebu). We had most basic room, which was fine given the price we paid, clean, but a little bit tired (you could opt for Ocean Wing if you can get good rates, we had 2 connecting). Very easy and good babysitting service, had service every night for about 5 euro an hour. Highly recommend the resort.

Tanjung, close to KK (had dinner there too), close to airport, nice rooms (bigger than Mactan), can do island trip (boat pier is next door), day trip to Rasa Ria. Beach is pretty much worthless, very small and could be jelly fish season. Service was good, not as good as Mactan in my opinion. Food was also better at Mactan but still good at Tanjung. The outside bar is lovely with great value for money deals on drinks and satay. They wouldn't do babysitters for children under 4 and/or only 1 per child (so would need 3?!), which would add up close to US$25 per hour (that's what I paid in NYC one night, and I asked for night time), very difficult.

Rasa Ria, a little bit further from the airport (about an hour), beautiful beach but empty due to sand flies. Bigger, less cosy feel than Tanjung, but felt more kid-friendly in terms of slides, kids menu (more variety) than Tanjung. Cannot comment on the rooms.

They're all good, it depends on personal preference, check Tripadvisor as well. Service definitely best at Mactan, and also the easiest, but you won't leave the hotel much, but that's OK. We did 5D/4N (with morning flight out, and evening flight back). Feel free to pm.
    Last edited by MommyTo3; 05-10-2010 at 07:34 PM. Reason: added babysitting information

aussie mum is offline Registered User
    I have stayed at 1 and 3. In addition to comments above - The beach at Cebu is lovely. My eldest son was 3 at the time and loved putting his goggles on and 'snorkelling' right at the shore. Fish galore! A definite highlight.

snagito is offline Registered User
    I've been to Rasa Ria - our 4 year old loved it - watching the orangutans etc but our 20 month old was a bit lost.. There were sand flies and jelly fish so beach was out which was a shame so if you choose Rasa Ria do check before booking!

Buckeroo is offline Registered User
    Have stayed at 1 & 2 with the family and agree totally with
    Mom2Sofie&Twins. I might be wrong, but I remember the beds being much bigger in Mactan --2 queens put together instead of a king and it was great!!

Also, check out Shangri-la's Value Vacations package. With kids, this was simply the best choice for us: Free laundry service, free b'fast and dinner buffet, etc. Food at Mactan definitely better. Mangoes galore! Our kids enjoyed the beach. The resort has bread baskets that you can bring over to the shoreline to feed the fishies, which swim around your feet, sometimes nibbling at your ankles. It was quite a fun experience. :)

m&m
    m&m is offline Registered User
    I have been to Shangri-La's Tanjung Aru, Kota Kinabalu.they pick up at airport.around 10 mins arrive in resort.they has nice restaurants.breakfast and dinner buffet.bbq.western food.bar.spa.little shop and children's playroom.the playroom is quite good for kids,for different age.also has internet for them and wii.outdoor has children playground.
    they has big grassland.people play tennis.football..also has gym room.beach.few swimming pools.you can also order a taxi from resort to zoo.then taxi will wait you back to resort.quite nice service.nice place.

m&m
    m&m is offline Registered User
    oh....children also can feed fishes.......

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast