Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Non-live in Helper hiring help

ru-chan is offline Registered User

Non-live in Helper hiring help

Hello everyone, we just moved to HK, and currently looking for a non- live in domestic helper who's main tasks would be, child minding and cleaning.
    Here's the situation:
    I work at home, so I thought I could manage without a domestic helper, but as my child cannot seem to get into any kindergarten(long wait list) and is always home, I am considering getting help.... Except, we would really prefer it if we could have a live-out helper because we are private people, and do not feel comfortable having a stranger live in the house. Also, because I plan to cook all the meals, and the helper will be only in charge of house cleaning and child minding.
    I heard that there is a way to manage a live-out maid without it being illegal, from an agent but is that true?

southside852 is offline Registered User
    i believe finding live-out / part time helpers are more difficult and more expensive as you usually have to pay for their housing since they usually rent a room. I would ask an agency to help you with this as they are not as readily available and might be harder to find.

nicolejoy is offline Registered User
    My understanding is, the only way that it is legal is if they are NOT in Hong Kong on a foreign domestic helper visa - maybe they married a local and now have a dependent visa (which also gives them lots more options for higher paying jobs), or maybe you could get a local Chinese lady instead. (try ERB - Smart Living for legal live-out help)

A lot of people DO hire FDH's live-out, but it is not legal. Legally they must live with you - regardless of what the agency says. I think sometimes agencies tell you what you want to hear to get your business but it's not true and in the end if you get busted you can't put all of the blame on them...

If you do interview people for a live out helper position, ask to see their visa/HKID - that will tell you if it is legal or not...

Thanks for the posts

Thank you nicolejoy and southside852.
    So, a person with HKID is the top choice, but it is clear that they are less available.
    I guess the other option is to hire a baby sitter and a cleaning agency...

So what are the odds of getting caught if ones does hire a helper illegally?
    Why do so many people do it risking illegality?
    Is there any lookout in a change of policy by the government?

carang is offline Registered User
    not a HKID as everyone MUST have that if they live in hk for more than 6 months... they must have either a PERMANENT ID (it will say so right at the top) or a dependent visa (in which case you must see the stamp in their passport).

personally, i would NOT risk it. if something happens (your helper steals, disappears, has an argument with another helper) you could be in BIG trouble (think fine and/or jail time).

who knows why people are willing to risk it?
    no, there doesn't seem to be any movement on the part of the gov't on changing the law.

LeahH is offline Registered User
    odds of getting caught? I have never heard of anyone that has been caught and a lot of people do it. But, it certainly could happen and you could be the unlucky one.

I have heard of one issue where another helper told the police about a particular situation (must have had a personal issue with the live out helper). The police arrived and told the the employer the helper had to move in asap.

People do it for a variety of reasons - odds of being caught probably low, no actual room, willing to take the risk. Also, a lot of people keep a room 'prepared' and actually have the helper stay over quite a lot. So the situation might be difficult to prove.

Thank you people for the helpful info.
    I am going to start interviewing DHs and look into the cleaning service, nanny service at the same time and decide which course to take. BTW my son got into a kindergarten from July! yay!

arleneli is offline Registered User
    The risk of getting caught was probably small, but when your helper has other issue with you and go to labour dept (not the police) to settle the matter then this problem may rise up. The labour dept (not the helper) would charge you for the matter, you will need to go to court and so on and so on...I think you can guess the rest...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast