Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

pre-nursery/nursery in kowloon - pls help!!!

baguette is offline Registered User
    carang, can I ask...where are you from?
    are you hongkongese?

thinking about what you said about the Cantonese school...uff...one big part of me in some way thinks that that might be the best option because, living in HK, it makes sense that our child learns the local language and plays with kids from HK.
    this would make her experience there much more interesting I guess.

On the other hand I am afraid I am asking too much.
    And some friends from Italy told me that their kid attending a school with a majority of local pupils was always on his own because he was the only one not understanding and speaking fluently Cantonese.

Ironically, we've been living in China for 12 years and when we were there I've always tought my kids would have attend a Chinese school..never even took in consideration the International ones.
    Motherhood made me weak.

carang is offline Registered User
    no, i'm canadian. i've lived here for 15 years, though... so maybe that counts as being "hongkongese"?

personally, i am not a person who would go to a country to live and NOT take advantage of at least trying to learn the language....i'm not fluent in cantonese, but i'm fairly well versed and can definitely get by in 99% of situations with my cantonese. my husband IS local, though, i was already here for over 3 years before i met him.

for us, to start with, it was more of a financial reason that we put our son into the local kindergarten... but, as i said, we are EXTREMELY happy with it. it's NOT like what i experienced growing up, but that doesn't make it wrong. the MOST important thing for me was that my son be happy going to school and he definitely is that. he's also less shy about speaking chinese to his grandparents when he sees them.

there are quite a few western kids at this kindergarten in particular, so your child would NOT feel out of place at all.

we have now even decided to put our son into a local chinese primary school, at least for a few years to see how he copes. if it's all too much for him, then we'll take him out. but, i REALLY want my kids to be bilingual, so there isn't much choice, really... if they went to international school, that would not be possible.

i know you said you were looking at elements/kowloon tong, but i would seriously suggest sai kung as a place to consider. it is NOT nearly as convenient at the other two, but the lifestyle more than makes up for it! the space, the green, the ocean all right there at your finger tips. chances are you will even get a place with a small garden, something you wouldn't get in either of the other two places.

you would most likely need a car though, but those are cheap second-hand...

forgot to say that kids adapt really well (most of them). you are right, he won't understand what is going on at the beginning, but it won't take long for him to figure it out.

just think... if you moved from italy to the USA, there would be no choice other than english schooling...he might then be the only one who doesn't speak english...but he would learn.

oooohhhh

I know!

but my husband works in Kwun Tong and it would take hours to get there from Sai kung.

and I will have to go often to China and it will take long as well.

ahhhhhhhhhhhh...god knows how I hate small apartments on high floors!

I know...

My daugher would learn a second language anyway as she will speak Italian and English or Italian and Cantonese.

But again, you don't get many chances to learn Canotonese in life while you can easily attend English classes later in life.

KWUN TONG is NOT far from sai kung! there is a minibus that takes 20 minutes to get you to Kowloon Bay! then it's only 1 MTR stop!

that's an EASY commute! it would take him longer on the MTR from Elements than it would from sai kung! no more than 30 minutes from sai kung (there may even be a minibus directly to kwun tong... i'll ask hubby!)... at least 40-45 minutes by MTR from elements...

going to china would be a bigger hassle, but if you have a car, you drive (highway almost the entire way) to sheung shui (i do it in about 35 minutes or so) and then it's only one stop on the MTR...there is a parking lot directly across the road from the MTR station.

ok..I have to check on the map again where sai kung is because I am afraid I am thinking about the wrong location.

wow...that is soooo tempting!!

lottieclee is offline Registered User
    My son goes to Tutortime in Kowloon Tong. He loves it. But it is also half-day only. As far as I know, because Tutortime run 5-6 nursery classes at the same time, it's easier to get in. But... morning classes are harder to get in than afternoon classes.

our nanny is great, so my son has an afternoon nap and goes to his extra-currirular activites that he picks.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast