Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Infertility 1st appt.

grant is offline Registered User

Infertility 1st appt.

Hello All!
    I am new to the Geobaby forum. I have my first infertility appt. with Dr. Tang in Hong Kong for the coming week. What ?'s should I ask at the appt. I am very nervous and want to make sure that the 1st appt. goes well. My husband and I have been trying for 3 years to have a child on our own. Last year we moved to Shenzhen from the USA. Had some tests done locally in Shenzhen, but very unsatisfied with the qualilty of Doctor's here. So please if you have any good advice or ?'s that I need to discuss with my doctor on my 1st appt. I will be greatful and thankful. I am 36 years of age and hope and pray that someday soon our dreams of becoming parents will come true! Thanks for any and all advice.

mela is offline Registered User

Take all the tests you had done before and show them to the doc. I also found it useful making some notes before on my infertility history. I.e any symptoms, how long have you been trying, what treatments etc. It will help you and you doctor maximise the time you have fr the appt.
    Questions to ask I suppose would be what treatment does he think is suitable and why? You might want some clarifications on drugs involved and side effects. He will probably ask some questions and will ask you to do some extra tests.
    Hope this helps and good luck!

grant is offline Registered User

Thanks mela for the response. I hope things go well on the first visit. New to all this infertility, so any and all advice is welcomed. Thanks again!

angelamok is offline Registered User

Try the Queen Mary's Hospital but I heard the wait is quite long though....Couple of my friends have success with delivering healthy babies from their IVF.

splitting snow is offline Registered User

I agreed with Mela, I wrote out the history from the beginnng of the time we started trying till now before I went to see my ER (Derek Lo), and it was very helpful to help him diagnose my case. They will most likely ask you and your husband to do some more tests at their clinic/lab, so be prepared for that.

Good luck!

sarahdcl is offline Registered User

How was your appointment? Did you like the doctor?
    I am 31 and just recently moved to Hong Kong. My husband and I have been trying for about 1 and half years with the help of an infertility doctor in NY. Since we arrived in Hong Kong I have been experiencing trouble to ovulate again and would like to start seeing someone again. Can anyone help with suggestions on doctors and costs? I am worried about the cost as in the US it was covered by insurance. I'm not sure if HSBC premier insurance pays anything back. Does anyone know?
    Thanks for your help in advance.

splitting snow is offline Registered User

Hi sarahdcl,

you can ask your HSBC insurance agent to send you a list of the doctors and hospitals in their "network", should give you some idea what kind of expenses are covered. We are also looking into getting medical insurance in HK to help pay for our treatment and hopefully childbirth. But there is a waiting period of 8-15 months, vary from companies.
    Cost wise, Dr Derek Lo's office charges about 70-75k for 1st IVF, and much less for later ones, provided that you have eggs left in the freezer.
    IUI is around $15000 each cycle. His consultation/exam fees are $600 each visit. Really nice guy and attentive.
    hope this helps.

sarahdcl is offline Registered User

Hi Splitting Snow,

Thanks so much for your information. I will give my insurance company a call on Monday. Oh wow I didn't know it takes 8-15 months to get approved for health insurance. Good luck. Do you have local insurance now or from somewhere else?
    Do you know which hospital Dr. Derek Lo is associated with? Does the consultation fee include the sonogram? I saw on some other threads that some include it and others do not.
    Also is it hard to get a first appointment? I was going to wait until my next cycle. What do you think?
    Thanks so much for your help and quick reply.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast