Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Tutor Time - suitable for non-Chinese family?

baguette is offline Registered User
    I have the impression, that might anyway be very wrong, that in HK "local" nurseries Cantonese is the main language and in International nurseries (or bilingual) the main language is English and they speak Putonghua for a very small amount of time.
    Therefore I think that being non-Chinese speaker in a bilingual nursery should be no problem at all.

southside852 is offline Registered User
    maybe for other nurseries, but tutor time is half half (mandarin/english). for non-chinese it is still no probelm as my son did not speak chinese and loved it!

@ carang, funny you say that b/c our local friends in HK always said to assume that when someone says chinese they mean mandarin.

carang is offline Registered User
    that is funny, because EVERY local i have ever met said the opposite. i think it's because they don't consider mandarin to be the local chinese language. it's the language you need to speak when you go to china. as 99% of the local population speak cantonese, they consider THAT to be the local chinese language... hence calling it chinese.

i actually noticed the job listings back in 1995 when i first arrived here...

nicolejoy is offline Registered User
    Weird Cara because I've had the opposite experience - all my local friends say "Chinese" when they're talking about Canto. I just asked my hubby too (he's local-ish too) and he says that locals say "Chinese" meaning Canto most of the time...

carang is offline Registered User
    THAT'S what i'm saying... it's southside (?) that is saying they refer to CHinese as being mandarin...

ALL of my experience is: CHINESE in HK means CANTONESE...not mandarin.

in CHINA, CHINESE means PUTONGHUA/mandarin.

(caps for emphasis, not intended as yelling)

nicolejoy is offline Registered User
    Oh oh oh! I totally misunderstood what you were saying. I should read more carefully ;) Sorry about that!!

hbw10 is offline Registered User
    not that this really matters and this is clearly not the pt of the posting, but everytime someone says chinese, i assume it means mandarin too....i think we all know canto is spoken in hong kong and mandarin is everywhere else....

lesliefu is offline Registered User
    chinese in Hong Kong means Cantonese, it's only Mandarin when they state it specifically - if you buy DVDs and such you have to be aware of this or else you will be buying loads of Cantonese things with the impression that it is in Mandarin...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast