Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Tutor Time - suitable for non-Chinese family?

Princess101 is offline Registered User

Tutor Time - suitable for non-Chinese family?

Hi, I just wondered if anyone has experience of Tutor Time in Mid Levels (Caine Road). I am thinking of enrolling my son who is 14 months, but we are a western family and speak no Mandarin, half the class at Tutor Time is conducted in Mandarin. We will probably only be in Hong Kong for maximum 3 years, do you think it is worth trying to teach him Mandarin? If anyone has any experience of this I would be very grateful to hear about it. Any other pre-nursery recommendations would also be useful. I currently send him to Woodlands (The Peak) but there is a very small outside space and I'm not sure it's the right place for my son as he is very active and needs to have a lot of free play. Thanks.

lesliefu is offline Registered User
    i know of many non-chinese families at tutor time (not the one based at caine road though - the one in tai tam) and they all have a very good experience there. i think exposure to mandarin won't hurt, plus the style is very activity based so i don't believe that he will be lost during class.

carang is offline Registered User
    i don't think that exposure to a new language is ever a bad thing...

no idea about the school in question, though... sorry.

Portia is offline Registered User
    Does the Caine Road branch actually have outdoor space other than the bit by the road itself? If your son need lots of free play and outdoor space and academic study is not a priority, then you could try Highgate House which has a large outdoor terrace with sandbox, gym equipment, bunny hutch, area for gardening, etc. Small World also has good outside space.

Thanks everyone.

lottieclee is offline Registered User
    My son is in Tutortime WOW in kowloon Tong. We don't speak chinese that well... All their teachers speak english, no worries.

southside852 is offline Registered User
    Redhill Tutor Time (southside) has tons of non-chinese families. Exposure to Chinese at an early age is wonderful and once in a lifetime experience. We did not speak Chinese and my son loved it starting at 13 months.

That's good to know southside - thanks. My son does enjoy Woodlands but he struggles with having to stay still for long periods of time (which means I am having to keep him in a rugby like tackle to stop him crawling away!) and from what I can gather from the website, Tutor Time is more focussed on free play. If money were no object I would send him to both and he really enjoys playgroups.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast