Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Booking public hospital

nicolejoy is offline Registered User
    I'm seen by the Prenatal Diagnostic department and I think that their 4D machines are not as good as the private doctors ones (in particular, Dr Lam's and Dr Ngai's - I can't comment on other private doctors) - HOWEVER I think that their doctors are much more detailed, are prepared to spend much longer on the scans and overall are better in my situation. If you want cool pics, a private doc is probably better - but if you want good medicine, I think that the public system is better.

I get free 3D scans done at the public hospital every month too Cara.

carang is offline Registered User
    aren't they awesome!

the study i took part in was "the vascular development of the placenta in normal and complicated pregnancies"... i was part of the "complicated" bit...

Well I'm not part of a study and if I could, I'd trade the 3D scans for a "normal" pregnancy!! But I guess someone's gotta be the 1 in 100,000 or whatever right?? ;)

i didn't have normal pregnancies either.

i'm sorry to hear that things are going overly well for you.

thinking about you... sending good vibes you way

lesliefu is offline Registered User
    now I'm pissed! I was paying private fees at QMH and they didn't even give me the option of 3D scans! What's THAT all about? The charges were JUST as expensive as going to see a private doctor outside! Why should it make a difference if it's a "normal" pregnancy or not - scans are important!

Well... at least I'm done with QMH now - my doctor (private clinic) actually had the nerve to tell me at 33wks that she wouldn't be here for my delivery cause she would be on holiday and whoever on duty would deliver for me! Paying private prices for public service - NO WAY - went private for a reason!

why is it important? if you are NOT high-risk, there is no need for the scans. it is ridiculous to spend money on them if they are not necessary. if you WANT them, you can always ask for them.

as for taking holidays... that happens, could just as easily happen with a private dr. otherwise, the drs would never get any time off...

when did you deliver, leslie?

There are signs in Tsan Yuk that talk about their 3D ultrasounds - although you have to request it specifically and pay more for it - and they use a different machine for it. It's not something that you're just "entitled" to as a private patient.

Ultrasound is primarily for diagnostic purposes, not for getting cute pictures for the album - and that's what QMH use it for. Yes they allow people to choose to have a 3D scan if they specifically ask. I didn't even get a choice - they just turned it on, I was actually surprised when it ended up being a 3D scan. My first pregnancy I paid extra in the private system for that option...

lesliefu is offline Registered User
    not due till early june - but because there were complications with my first (who's 20mths now) because I had a substitute doctor (my 1st doctor was on holiday and I was 4 days early) i really really need to be 100% sure whowill deliver my 2nd baby...more psychological than anything else really....my birth plan is pretty easy, do whatever is necessary!

my last doctor asked me if I wanted an episiotomy...of course I said NO it freaked me out! who asks you these things when you're in such pain?!? anyhow, long story short, I just needed to be 100% sure this time....

scans are not important like you say, but when you have doctors (like the one at QMH) who tell you there's no guarantee of anything, it kind of made me more nervous and WANT to get a decent scan ....she never even mentioned to me that I could pay extra for the scan, which is really shocking to me now! especially after she said the blood test for downs was also not reliable either - and the only thing would be a decent scan + a some sort of integrated test to be 100% - I did 2 blood tests with 2 doctors and 2 different times and she said the results of my 2 blood tests were conflicting...she should have done something there and then! or at least referred me somewhere - I was on my own!

anyhow, i'm glad i'm not delivering with the dr at QMH anymore - i would have had a c-section to ensure she was the one to deliver, which i don't feel is necessary unless there really is a medical reason for it.

i know i'm lucky...for a couple months i wasn't sure and the dr wasn't very reassuring either which made things worse. i've only really had 3 scans in my whole pregnancy so far and only 3 more weeks to go! perhaps i'm anxious because of what happened last time, but i'm crossing my fingers this time that my doctor (whom does not have holiday till July) will know what my intentions are and NOT ask me for permission during the labour process...

thanks for listening guys! can't talk to mom / hubby about these things cause they get so so agitated and upset! :)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12