Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

unsalted butter and yelling husband

FutureHKmom is offline Registered User
    So sorry to hear this!!! On occasion, when I make Annabel Karmel recipes, I will use butter in the cooking for my son too! This was before he turned one year old....I don't think he had any problems with it. I think once *gasp* I might have put in salted butter as I didn't have any unsalted at home. My pediatrician has told us that we can start putting a little bit of salt into our son's food (now 14 months). Plus, we actually do let our son try the food we eat both at home and when we are out. Though when he eats at home, we still cook separate food for him where we don't really put salt - on occasion, I have put some salt in to see if it helps his eating.

Sleuth is offline Registered User
    Tell your husband to get a grip and quit being a mommy's boy. May your boy grow to over 6 feet tall and bench 300 pounds, but he won't do it eating congee all the time.
    And don't worry about your MIL; she's also probably convinced her little boy shold have married somebody else. Somebody more like a local.
    The statement about foreign babies being different from local babies in terms of what they can eat is pure ignorance and smacks of a few less pleasant things.
    If he is so worried about the slow poisoning of your child through food, what is he doing to move you out of the air pollution?

PS. Our boys eat salted butter straight from the stick (not in massive amounts) and they are both well-above average height and well-below average weight.
    Last edited by Sleuth; 05-14-2010 at 01:04 PM.

geomum is offline Registered User
    I heard on TV that fresh veggies which are frozen right after picking have more nutritional content than the ones that take days to reach the supermarket shelves after being picked from the farms. I don't think HK farms produce real Organic veggies and fruits because of the high pollution level here. Those who disagree with me please read what does it take for a farm to be categorized as Organic Farm.
    I used butter, cheese in my daughter's food, used frozen pees and corn all the time.

zac08 is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by geomum View Post
    I heard on TV that fresh veggies which are frozen right after picking have more nutritional content than the ones that take days to reach the supermarket shelves after being picked from the farms.
    Yup, I have read the same thing!!

Princess101 is offline Registered User
    Unsalted butter is absolutely fine! Toddlers need these essential fats in their diet for growth & brain development. My 14 month old has toast and butter for breakfast virtually every day! If you google "butter in babies diet" you will find a wealth of information - maybe you should show to hubby? Good luck.

Gataloca is offline Registered User
    I think the one with the problem is your husband, and not your MIL. She would not know what your are feeding your baby, unless someone told her. Mostly seems that your hubby is obsessed with all news about child obesity, fat, trans fat, etc.

And not all chinese MIL is that "healthy". I know my mom wouldn't care less about what to feed a baby.... I think I wouldn't care too much either... At the end, I grew up drinking full fat milk, eating cakes, cookies, butter, and all sort of salty and fat food...

lesliefu is offline Registered User
    i really feel sorry for you - my MIL is the same (and I'm Chinese)...luckily my hubby is great and has no problem with what I feed our daughter...he always says that "a mother would't kill her own child!"

Butter / small amounts of fat are in fact very good for the children under the age of 2 ("chinese" people don't believe this) as it helps to develop the brain...my daughter has some every day in some form or another, and it is completely fine!

as for frozen veggies, I ALWAYS use them when I am making steamed egg for my daughter - they're sweet and to be honest, I don't want to stand by the sink shelling peas for her dinner all the time

Congee is good - once in a while - we'll have a pot of plain congee once in a while and add the meat / vegetable to it when we give it to her, but by 1 my daughter was eating EVERYTHING that we were eating (just in smaller proportions) - my MIL would be concerned about the MSG!!! How much is she really eating?

Lisainhk is offline Registered User
    Sorry to hear that! I hope he reads all of the above comments to see that he is the one that is wrong and NOT you :)

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast