Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

How many scans at Tsan Yuk/QMH?

nicolejoy is offline Registered User
    One tip with Tsan Yuk, try to arrive for your appointment 5-10 min early, it can make a half hour difference in when you'll be able to leave. Yes it takes longer than private doctors, but it's not THAT bad. And some private doctors also take up to an hour waiting time as well so it's comparable.

Yes only one scan (20 weeks) - unless you're over 35 and do the downs screening (which is not included unless you're over 35) but a lot of people go to private doctors to get a couple more scans if they want. And you can pay for the downs screening if you're under 35 too I think...

carang is offline Registered User
    sorry, my info is outdated then... a lot can change in 4 yrs!

yonge is offline Registered User
    Just came back from my first trip to Tsan Yuk. I'm 36 and 13 weeks along. I initially registered just last week at my local Maternal and Child Health Clinic (MCHC) at Tang Chi Ngong, which made the appointment for me at Tsan Yuk for the glucose test which requires two blood samples as well as the first of two scans for nuchal transluscency for Down's Sydrome. I had a 9am appointment, had my first blood sample taken, went to the scan for the nuchal transluscency test and made an appointment for the next scan at 20 weeks during the 2-hour period that I had to wait for my next blood sample to be taken. I was out of there by 11:30am. So, it looks like I'll have 2 scans in total and there was practically no waiting time - no more than when I had health insurance and went private six years back. The nurses had great English and there were lots of "foreigners" in the waiting room - counted at least 20% Caucasian faces and there were probably more Asian foreigners, like myself as well.

You'll need to first find out where you'll be living to register at the nearest MCHC which will determine at which hospital you'll deliver. They tell you that you need to bring copies of you and your husband's HKID, proof of address in Hong Kong (e.g., water/electricity/gas bill), a letter from a private doctor certifying you're pregnant and a urine sample. I didn't have the last one, but they allowed me to collect one while I was there. Hope this helps!

nbw
    nbw is offline Registered User
    Thanks so much!

I booked my appointment today, and they didn't say anything about proof of address, so you just saved me a major headache. I hate that I have to wait until June 19th, though.

Do they let your husband go in with you for any of this? For the scan?

Sorry for all the questions!

nicolejoy is offline Registered User
    Yes hubbies can go along for the appointments and scans - they do NOT give you pictures of the scans unless you ask for them first and pay extra for them (not sure of the prices though, but they have signs up saying the prices)... On my first appointment I forgot my proof of address and my hubby's id card and it was fine to just bring it to my next appointment, no big deal.

Don't worry about all the questions - that's what we're here for :)

I personally went to a private doctor when I was about 6-7 weeks just to see the heart beat on ultrasound - I found it very reassuring... a lot of people do that - but it's not really necessary...

Oh and yonge - I was there this morning too, but not until about 10:45. We might have crossed paths ;) I was mostly in the 3rd floor ultrasound area...

nbw
    nbw is offline Registered User
    Thanks for all the help! I scheduled an appointment with Dr Catherine Cheung for one weekend and then with Tsan Yuk to register the weekend after.

Hope everything goes well with your appointment nicolejoy. Good luck!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12