Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Upcoming mums Jan 2011

nbw
    nbw is offline Registered User
    Hi Cherina,

I will let you know next weekend! I have my first appointment with them on June 19th.

When I called and the receptionist told me I they wouldn't see me until 9 weeks, I couldn't stand the wait--so I went to a private doctor at 6 weeks.

As for symptoms, I get nauseous at times, but the hardest thing is sheer exhaustion. I am definitely looking forward to summer break!

I went back to the doctor this Wednesday because I had a week of brown spotting and pain. Got to see the heartbeat again. Pain is probably a combination of the ligaments stretching and ovarian cysts. Spotting is as of yet a mystery.

I don't really mind paying for the visits--it is HK$ 1000 for the consultation and the scan together. Worth it for peace of mind!

You do have a rather annoying situation there...your insurance doesn't start until December, but you are due at the end of January right?

Did you inquire about how your insurance handles "preexisting condition"? (How awful does that sound?) But some insurance companies will not cover you because you were pregnant before you went on the plan. In that case you definitely need the public system unless you want to pay for the private doctor and the private hospital.

I can't imagine that it would cost a lot if you had to use the public system for an emergency delivery...you have your HKID, so that should act as your coverage. And if you were to deliver in one of the private hospitals and something went wrong, they would most likely send you to a public hospital anyway. If you register--it might just make things easier if it did come to that.

Just a guess, though.

Hope you are able to keep morning sickness at bay : )

Cherina is offline Registered User
    Hi nbw and May,

Thanks for the information, I feel a lot calmer now if I end up having to go public for some things. I checked with my insurance and the pregnancy wasn't preexisting so I'm definitely covered from the beginning of December. If there are no complications the birth is the most expensive thing so at least I will be covered for that.

nbw - sorry to hear about your spotting and pain, I know it's quite common but it must be distressing all the same. Hope you don't have any more problems, it's good that you've got the reassurance of a good doc monitoring you.

I'm going for my second scan on Monday so I'm really hoping they can pick up a heartbeat and that everything is ok.

Keep in touch.

Cherina x

CamillaO is offline Registered User
    Hi everyone,

I am 33 and this is my first pregnancy too. I am from Sydney and I have been in Hong Kong for 1.5 years. It looks like I am having twins too which means I will go through the public system at Queen Mary which I have been told has a high risk pregnancy centre. I am now 9 weeks and due in January but will be a bit earlier because of the twins. The only pregnancy symptom so far is absolute exhaustion, so I have been having lots and lots of naps.

I would love to meet up in July. I live in Mid-Levels but can meet anywhere as I am on holidays during the summer.

Camilla.

barb is offline Registered User
    Hi girls,

I am 38 and pregnant with my first baby, due date January 22... I am a single mum to be, so very excited and a bit anxious at the same time...

would love to meet up in July, so let me know!

Cherina is offline Registered User
    Hello everyone,

Have any of you booked hospitals yet for delivery? I've been told I need to reserve asap and I'm absolutely clueless! It seems so early having to book in before 12 weeks.
    I'm going to see the Matilda, Adventist and Canossa this weekend, has anyone got any experience of these ones? I've read mixed reviews on here for all the hospitals and don't really know what to expect.
    The matilda looks really nice on the website but I'm worried it could be really expensive if the 4 bed rooms are all full...

Cherina

hapa808 is offline Registered User
    Hi Girls!

Congratulations to all!! I'm new to this thread, due with bubba #2 on Jan 7th. My little girl was born last July at Matilda- these 2 will be 18 months apart, yikes... I highly recommend Matilda, it was such an amazing experience for my husband and I- the staff are wonderful and it was quite luxurious, if you can call a hospital that! I had to wait until week 38 to get my bed confirmed, quite nerve wracking, but this time around, I already got my confirmation. They require a 20K deposit to hold your space. I have friends that have given birth at Canossa, Adventist and Queen Mary and they have only good things to say as well.

I'd love to meet you all sometime! We are out of town for the summer, but will be back in August. Hope everyone starts to feel better and more energized soon!

x

PHAUS is offline Registered User

Due early Jan 2011

Hi All
    I am also due Jan 2011 with my first and would love to meet other new Mums to be.
    I work but am happy to join for lunches etc in Central.

pammyg is offline Registered User
    Hey everyone,

I'm due Jan 27th with my second, and I went through the public system here in HK for my first, 3 1/2 years ago. So when we all get together in July (which I'm all for, since it's hard to do anything these days), I'll share my experience with everyone, if that helps. I know it can be overwhelming to try to figure everything out about how it works in HK, especially if it's your first pregnancy, but don't worry. It IS possible to navigate through all your options, and have a good experience besides! I'm currently a high-risk pregnancy and am going to Queen Mary for prenatal checkups/delivery. And I'm looking forward to getting together and meeting all of you! Until July then...

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast