Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

breastfeeding in public

mcdill is offline Registered User
    I have seen mothers breastfeeding with or without the covers at restaurants on several occasions, and none of the other diners had a problem with it.

tstmum is offline Registered User
    Hong Kong
    I breastfed a lot in public and never had a problem, though I always tried to be discrete about what I was doing. I sometimes draped a large muslin or blanket over my shoulder, but neither of my kids liked this much as they were not used to being covered during feeds! I never used a breastfeeding apron or cover, never felt the need. I dressed suitably for breastfeeding, with a vest under my top or shirt so that people did not get a glimpse of my flabby belly when I lifted my top. As others have mentioned, the big armchairs in Starbucks or Pacific Coffee are comfortable for feeding.

As for pumping, I was told to start by 3-4 weeks. I never actually gave EBM while out, but stored it for feeds when I would be away from baby.

nicolejoy is offline Registered User
    North Point
    I never noticed just how many people DO breastfeed in public until I was breastfeeding, then it seemed like I would see it every day! I think that a lot of people may look at it and think that they're just holding the baby close, not actually feeding...

HK isn't too bad - I never got any negative comments about breastfeeding in public. I did use a cover most of the time, and I'd generally go to a coffee shop or something like that too - but there were a couple of times when baby was hungry and I wasn't prepared so I just fed her without the cover. You've gotta do what you've gotta do ;) I never pumped and gave bottles though - I'm too lazy for that ;)

Shenzhennifer is offline Registered User
    Tsuen Wan
    I was disappointed when I came to HK with how few people were breastfeeding in public (that I for that one foreigner with very large breasts in Pacific Coffee that day;). In my baby's early days I didn't care much and would breastfeed wherever I wanted, but always with a cover (I used a pashmina). But I always looked for baby rooms first, unfortunately only in large malls. I think with smaller babies it's more 'acceptable' since they are totally reliant on us. Not my thinking, just my interpretation.
    Later when my baby started to get a bit fussier(5 months+) and not into doing it in public, it was harder to do it in public without showing some nipplage. I also became more modest and sought refuge in feeding rooms or toilets.
    I basically just avoided eye contact with others. If I got blatant stares, I would stare back and sometimes comment back(not in the best mood when hungry baby is crying and I'm feeling flustered:).
    I had a hard time breastfeeding for the first 4-6 weeks so I didn't introduce the bottle until 5.5 weeks and it was too late. He never accepted another until about 9 months old, which was a bit hard on me. For the next one I hope to introduce it around 3-4 weeks if all is going well. If it is a 'natural', even earlier.

LeahH is offline Registered User
    Hong Kong, Mid Levels
    The Bebe au Lait is great, I fed everywhere up until my son became too fussy around 6 months (I think if you have larger breasts it can be more difficult to be discreet!).

Coffee shops, restaurants (including chinese local places), all fine - never had any odd moments.

Introduced the bottle with EBM at 4 weeks as BF was going fine - if you are having problems maybe wait until BF is really well established. I didn't use the bottle for going out, but for those times when I was out by myself.

Melli is offline Registered User
    Thank You All !!
    I highly appreciate Your comments and am much more relaxed now towards this topic.
    Can't wait for the baby to arrive....6 more weeks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

lalligirl is offline Registered User
    hong kong
    Hi Melli,

i also breastfed in public whenever i needed to. in the early days when bub & i were still getting used to it, i used a cover or cloth if i'd remembered to bring it. but as we got better and more comfortable at it, i used the cover less because it seemed to get in the way.

the biggest difficulty i had was occasionally not being able to find a seat anywhere (especially if i happened to be out on a sunday). though, i quickly learnt where all the coffee shops and feeding rooms were, so that became less of a problem after a while.

i fed til bub was about 15 months, but found i feeding in public discretely became more difficult after she was about 10-12 months and had more of an interest in what was going on around her than she did in milk. but by then she could usually have some other snack to tide her over til we got home, so it wasn't too much of a problem.

good luck!

solidstars is offline Registered User
    i used the bebe au lait nursing cover, though on hindsight i wish i introduced the bottle earlier! baby is now 1 years 2 months and i'm still bfing

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast