Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

breastfeeding in public

Melli is offline Registered User

breastfeeding in public

Is this really possible in HK?

It is sooo normal back home in Europe, but honestly I have never seen someone feeding in public here.

These nice nursing clothes do exist and I bought me some, but still.....

I am quite concerned I will have to stay inside most of the time, since I just learned a newborn has to be fed up to 12 times a day!

I am planning to breast feed for about 6 month.

Also, I learned the baby should not be bottle fed for the first 6-8 weeks, so pumping is not that good of an option....

What were Your experiences???

carang is offline Registered User
    Sai Kung
    i never had a problem breastfeeding in public. i was quite discrete, but i never even wore one of those bibs. i thought they drew more attention to what i was doing.

i also never had a problem giving my babies bottles/pacifiers before 6-8 weeks. but right now, that is the accepted wisdom...otherwise, the baby may develop "nipple confusion".

lesliefu is offline Registered User
    South District
    i would say just do what you are comfortable with....breastfeeding in HK is not the most popular because HK people tend to be very conservative when it comes to these things, and though it is getting more and more popular, I would say it still hasn't gained the popularity as in many european places.

if you are "concealed" properly, it really won't be a big deal, i have friends who'd just take out their breastfeeding apron and feed whenever necessary. i personally am more conservative so i would stick to pacific place / elements / ifc malls where they actually have breastfeeding rooms and i could breast feed in privacy - but that's just me! people will not stare really - they know it's good, it's just the locals would probably choose to pump instead (or perhaps go all out with formula because of the convenience)...just my thoughts...

shuchisingh is offline Registered User
    Hong Kong
    Hi Melli... congratulations :)

My son was breasfed till he was 10.5 months (and then moved to fresh milk). I have fed him in public - almost everywhere... in cabs, at restaurants, in cafes. With a good nursing wrap most people dont realize or care. I might have been "looked at" once or twice but overall no complaints :)

Also - there are nursing rooms at some of the malls like - IFC, Elements, Pacific Place and Mothercare - Prince's Building, Airport. They are very good. We usually tried to be somewhere around during his feed times so it could be convenient.

We introduced a bottle (of EBM) at 3 weeks. It is advised around 3-4 weeks because baby might reject the bottle after that. And they might get confused if it is introduced too early. But every baby is different and quite a lot of them manage bottle and direct nursing without any trouble at all.

All the best !

plumtree is offline Registered User
    Hong Kong
    Hi Melli

You can get those nursing covers (I think the brand is Bebe au Lait) and they are available locally as well as from the Doubibou website (Doubibou Natural Store - Cloth Diapers, Baby Carriers, Toiletries & Many More), which ships from Macau. I didn't really have a problem feeding discretely with my cover or with a shawl thrown over.

Also, I gave my baby expressed EBM in a bottle from the time he was quite young (2 weeks old!). I guess each baby is different, but he didn't have a problem with it and drank happily from the breast or bottle. I'm sure babies can get 'nipple confusion' but thankfully it didn't happen to me. I guess what I'm saying is that it can be done.

Good luck!

Frenchy is offline Registered User
    Ap Lei Chau
    I've bf for 8 months, anywhere I was. You can always find a confortable seat in a Starbuck... In the worse case I had to bf in toilets, and even in a taxi, but with a nursing wrap, people would just not notice and would be very respectfull.

baffelly is offline Registered User
    Starbucks or other coffee shops are good places to bf. Be discreet and people usually don't stare. And if you are western looking, it's even more acceptable to people. My baby had bottle from about 2-3 weeks old and no nipple confusion. But i think it's more convenient to feed baby from breast than taking a bottle and try to warm it up when you are out.

Honkyblues is offline Registered User
    I breastfed everywhere and anywhere for 20 mths. I didn't use a nursing bib/cover, just very discreetly lifted my top and latched baby on. Baby's face covers most of your boob, your own arm - supporting his head - protects the side view, and his body covers your tummy.

Occasionally I draped a large muslin over my shoulder, but frankly just found it got in the way.

Cafes, restaurants, benches, sofas - and yes, breastfeeding rooms too... wherever was comfortable. I tried to find a balance between keeping myself and baby happy, and not offending people. I know that it's my 'right' to nurse when and where I choose, but I am also sensitive to the fact that it can make some people embarrassed and uncomfortable.

I think it's more common in HK, particularly in places frequented by expats, than you might think. And the more women that do it, the more accepted it will become. I don't think any woman should ever have to hide in a toilet to breastfeed.

Good luck with finding what suits you and your baby.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast