Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Toddler down with cold every month this year

fingerscrossed is offline Registered User
    Speaking of viruses...

My son, also 26mths now, never once got sick before he turned two. Then when he turned 25mths, I decided to get the seasonal flu jab for him coz he was attending a lot more playgroups etc. and since then, he's been sick three times with UTI. It's probably just super coincidental but it's something to think about. His paed says it's got nothing to do with it but some friends mentioned that the jab may have lowered his natural immunity.

Yes, we try to keep everything clean and wash his hands but sometimes its hard to keep track of what they touch and when the other kids cough and sneeze.

Tini is offline Registered User
    It is totally normal for kids to have colds up to 10-12 times a year. I remember my niece having been through the same when she was a toddler. Even my sister had a cold every month and I know many other moms who are in the same situation. I guess you can help you little one's immune system by giving him/ her fruits every day and a well balanced diet, enough water to drink, and take her/ him outside. But I suppose all kids have to go through this in order to strengthen their immune system. Is just very annoying I can imagine if you child is sick all the time. And also, the weather is very mean on the health, outside too hot and inside too cold :(

Hope your little one gets well soon.

Tini is offline Registered User
    I forgot...I kind of feel that nowadays kids get sick more often. I don't remember this being such a problem when I was a child, in KG or at school. Is it because we have become more sterile these days? I mean I run around with hand sanitizer and try to keep my son's hands clean. Yet, nobody ever worried about that when we were kids, not even a few years ago. I feel that all this sterilization makes everybody weak rather than strong.

southside852 is offline Registered User
    once my son entered tutor time at around 13 months, his colds definitely increased from the exposure to other children etc....Obviously, not ideal, but necessary in terms of just building up their own immune system. I do believe there is such a thing as over-sterilization where parents walk around with wipes, antibacterial this and that. My brother-in-law's wife was like that and her son was at the A & E at least once a month b/c of some sickness / cold / fever. I really believe it was because she was wiping down EVERYTHING before he touched it.

Of course, I carry wipes too and I never let my son eat from a public restaurant table, but I also know that my son's going to get dirty. He goes to structured playgroups, goes to friends' houses and is in the playground daily....Now when he gets sick, I either let him ride it out (depending on severity), give Dimetaap or I have cough medicine, He is fine after a couple of days. We give him now a multi-vitamin too.

The only time I worry and take him into the doctor is usually when I see an allergic reaction like he had at the start of the month to a few mozzy bites.

geomum is offline Registered User
    Thanks for your opinions everyone.
    "some friends mentioned that the jab may have lowered his natural immunity." Most ridiculous thing I've heard, vaccinations build the body's immunity don't lower it. Children don't have a strong immune system to begin with hence they are given vaccinations. Before believing such things please do some of your own research online :)
    http://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/vac-gen/howvpd.htm
    Last edited by geomum; 05-20-2010 at 07:51 AM.

baffelly is offline Registered User
    My 15 mth old got sick every month this year too. His pediatrician said it's not that bad as there are kids who see him every week!
    I am a believer in sanitizers as my baby likes putting his hand in his mouth when he is tired or his teeth is itchy. People in hk have become more aware of hygene after SARS epidemic.

solidstars is offline Registered User
    mine's just had fever for the first time ever yesterday... gave me a scare!

shaanmom is offline Registered User
    you could consider homeopathy. my son was constantly sick which is a concern as he is already a poor eater, and being sick didn't help at all! when we started going to the homeopath, i found a marked improvement in his recovery and general health. basically, his ability to fight infections improved a lot and he was sick for a shorter length of time.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123