Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Toddler down with cold every month this year

geomum is offline Registered User

Toddler down with cold every month this year

Hi mums,
    My 26 month old has been constantly sick with a cold and cough almost every month since Oct last year. Its quite bad actually and she needs medication for 5- 7 days before she gets better. But I am so stressed about her feeling miserable and pumping medicines in to her all the time. Has your child also been more sick lately? Please advise what can I do to help her? Thanks.

FutureHKmom is offline Registered User
    I totally sympathise because my son (14 months) has been sick a lot lately too! Since the beginning of the year, he has had a fever almost every month - but thankfully most of the time, except one, it has always been a low grade one. My pediatrician told me that there is just a lot of viruses floating around. I'm not sure what to do or if anything can be done! Any advice from anyone would be great!

Fisona is offline Registered User
    There is a traditional Chinese way of preventing coughing and strengthening the health of children - Orange Theraphy:

1) Cut the upper part of the orange (approx. 1/5 of orange)
    2) Put a little bit of salt on the orange
    3) Steam the orange for 10-15 mins
    4) Peel off the skin and cut it into small parts and feed your child

I have not tried yet since my baby is still small, I'm planning to start when he reaches 2 yrs old coz I am afraid he may face lots of bacteria when he starts to join playgroup and kindergarten.

It doesn't cost a lot and it is not medicine (taking too many medicine may cause dental problem).

However it is not a quick cure, it may take months before you could see the effect.

No harm to try I guess.

lesliefu is offline Registered User
    not too sure what you can do with a sick child...all i do with my daughter is to use alcohol to wipe down her hands after she has been playing outside, and am constantly washing her hands...can't really keep her at home all day!

on a side note... there's something called "probiotics" that you should give your child after taking the medication (you can mix it with yoghurt / into the food as it's a powder and doesn't taste- it's meant to restore/ replace the good cells (or something along those lines) that get removed together with the bad ones when you take antibiotics...

lesliefu I give her probiotics just recently finished after 2 month course. She has a good diet, drinks milk regularly. She does not eat Oranges unfortunately, Fisona where did you read about this eating medicines = dental problem? We maintain very good hygeine, washing hands all the time. Not germaphobes but yes very clean indeed.
    Yes her doctor says the same thing lots of viruses floating around, but does that mean our kids will be sick forever?

Just to add she hasn't had any antibiotics yet.

rani is offline Administrator
    We had the same problem when my son started nursery. Have you tried Cod Liver Oil? It helped build his immunity and he rarely got sick once we started.

Fisona is offline Registered User
    Geomum, it happens to my own nephew when he was little.

My sister was a very nervous mum and she brought him to see doctor everytime she "suspected" my nephew was going to be sick. Sometimes it was just a little coughing.

My nephew's teeth got decay when he was about 3-4 yrs old. We suspected that it was because he took too much medicine and the sweetness of the fluid caused the decay. He had not been eating sweets by that age yet so there was no other reason to explain.

Have you heard of Kawaii Kanyu Drop? It is a Japanese brand and good for children. But I am not sure if it fits a 26 months old baby.

Hope your little one will get better soon.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast