Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

how long was the crying when CIO first used?

1stimemum is offline Registered User
    i meant 4 hrs between feeds and i try have him take a 1hr morning nap and then an afternoon nap (he catnaps, so maybe 3X 30mins naps if i'm lucky) and one more btw 6-730pm.

But all this needs carrying so i sometimes can spend the whole entire afternoon from 12-4pm carrying him just so that he naps 3 times of maybe 30mins ....

StareBear is offline Registered User
    I can understand why you are trying CIO then! That just does not sounds sustainable. It also doesn't sound like enough sleep for your baby which is probably why he fights sleep so much. Why don't you try a controlled comforting methods which would at least allow you to be in the room with the baby. Agree with the other posters though that whatever you choose you must be strong and stick to it. Also make sure you have the support of your husband (and helper) as consistency is the key - every one who puts him to bed must follow the same approach.

Obiwan is offline Registered User
    Started at 8 months, 1st night was the longest cry for 20+ minutes. Routine all in place now.

1sttimemum. Your sleeping routine sounds right and your baby is sleeping well from 8.30 - 6 so i won't be too worried. My guess is that one of the reasons your extinction method did not work well could be because when you put him down to sleep, he was not tired as he just woke up not too long ago from his evening nap at 7.30pm. You should have ~3 hr gap between last nap and sleeping time.

It's very impt to manage the time between last nap and sleeping time. When we started the sleep training, we were advised to have a slightly 'later' sleeping time to take advantage of the fact that the baby was actually tired when we put her to sleep. All have worked very well for us.

Good luck!!

zac08 is offline Registered User
    instead of going cold turkey why don't you try going in every 5/10/15/20 minutes or so and giving him some cuddles/reassurance, so that he doesn't get too overwrought? i think that before they reach 6-7 months of age, they simply cannot "handle" cold turkey CIO, psychologically, or physically.

1stimemum is offline Registered User
    i am going to do it in 2 or 3 wks and will let everyone know how it goes.... hoping that its not as bad as I imagine.

carang is offline Registered User
    to be perfectly honest, i could NEVER do CIO with a baby under the age of 1-ish. to me, it's just too young.

at least by the age of 1 or so, you know your baby better, your baby knows you and understands that you will be back.

i have no problem doing it with my older kids 3&5 yrs, as i know that they are crying purely out of anger/frustration at not getting what they want.

to me, crying is a baby's only form of communication. whenever i left a baby to CIO, i felt like i wasn't listening to what the baby was trying to tell me. i believe that to a baby so young, cuddles and closeness are as important, if not more important, than the clean nappy/hunger etc.

zac08 is offline Registered User
    carang, while i do understand and respect your point, i think it really depends on the individual situation. perhaps you were one of the lucky ones - a parent blessed with kids who didn't have big sleep issues when they were infants. but for parents whose babies have issues, who keep themselves and their parents up all night, i do believe CIO is necessary - it is important to teach your little ones how to fall asleep on their own IF they have problems. i think any age under 6 months is too young, that said.

southside852 is offline Registered User
    of course every piece of advice given in these forums is subjective and is based on invidiviual needs. we can only share our own opinion and speak from personal experience with our own child/children.

babies are all unique and everyone parents differently. what's nice about these forums is that you can ask a question and get a wide range of answers and experiences.

CIO is always a personal choice and people will always have both positive and negative feedback on it. In the end the parent makes the final decision on what course of action to take as they know their child best.
    Last edited by southside852; 05-23-2010 at 08:09 AM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast