Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Moving to Hong Kong and pregnant... Help!

headingsouth is offline Registered User

Moving to Hong Kong and pregnant... Help!

Hi,
    I will be moving to Hong Kong at the end of June, and will be about 15 weeks pregnant with my 4th child (LOL!!!). I need to find a good obstetrician quickly and would be very grateful for any advice. We will be living in the Sai Kung area, but I am happy to see someone on the Island if that is the best option.

As we will not be covered by private health insurance I would like to use a private obstetrician for the pregnancy, and then deliver in a public hospital.

Thanks for your help.

southside852 is offline Registered User
    there are tons of posts about OB/GYNs in the forum especially on private doctors who can deliver in public hospitals as many are in the same position as you. Do a quick search and you might get some of your questions answered. Here are just a few, but there are tons more:

Doctor recomendations at PRIVATE Clinic at Queen Mary Hospital

New to Hong Kong and looking for a good gynec and obstet

clarification on private and public hospital

public vs private?

carang is offline Registered User
    there are NO private doctors that can deliver at public hospitals, afaik.

there are some OBs that will not take patients who intend on delivering at public hospitals, but as southside said, there are quite a few threads regarding doctors who are willing to do this.

Ricco is offline Registered User

New to HK, Looking for apartment and hospital for my wife's delivery

Hi Headingsouth,

Can't help but noticing that you're pregnant with the 4th child? How do you manage to live in HK given that HK space is so small? Do you employ any maid? How did you find your accomodation?

Sorry for the questions :) I'm moving to hongkong and my wife is 2 months pregnant. I'll be busy looking for apartments and would love to hear some input

Hi Ricco,
    We are not there yet - we move at the end of June. We are planning to live in the Sai Kung area so we can get a lot more space. We hope to employ a maid once we`re there.

Thanks to Southside and Carang for your posts.

clarehk is offline Registered User
    I also live in Sai Kung and am 33 weeks pregnant. AM giving birth in the prince of Wales hospital in Shatin, which is a public hospital. THey have been looking after me for all of my pregnancy and I have had no problems. Polite and friendly staff at the clinic and seem to be very thorough in the check ups. You need to get yourself 'in the system' as soon as you arrive, so go to see a private GP (I saw Dr Siu in Sai KUng) who will give you a referral letter to take to the hospital. You may find you don't need to see a private doctor at all after that. HOpe this helps!

Thanks so much Clare. I have heard good things about the Prince of Wales hospital so that looks like the best option.

chenschmitt is offline Registered User
    Hello, I just moved to Hong kong and pregnant, too! It's my first child, and I'm into my 26wks. I'm originally from Taiwan, so I'm quite used to the humidity here. It's a very exciting city, i'm sure you and your children will love it!

I found southside's information very helpful, too! Thank you!