Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Travel system that meets Australian standards?

Flack is offline Registered User
    Hi Nicole

I borrowed a BabyLove car capsule in Australia for 6 weeks, and I would recommend trying before buying. I wasn't a fan and my baby screamed the car down everytime she was in it. The mother I borrowed it from had the same problem with her baby. My baby has never worried with the Maxi Cosi here or also the Safe'N'Sound in Aus so I don't know what the problem was for her with the BabyLove but she sure hated it. I also found it was much harder to get her in and out of the seatbelt than the safensound and in the safensound if I turned around I could see her whereas with the BabyLove I could not see her at all as the sides are very high.
    Good Luck I know what a pain it is trying to organise car seats for Aus!!

nicolejoy is offline Registered User
    Flack - the Safe'n'sound one, can you still use it in a cab with just a seat belt around it too??

I'm pretty clueless with all of this as I've never used anything like this with my first child - I had a carseat in Aus but nothing that you remove from the car... I was pretty hopeless with the carseat too, kept forgetting to tighten up the top tether strap (so much for safety there!). That's what I get for living in HK!!

TheQuasimother is offline Registered User
    Nicole... All cab drivers are supposed to carry a babyseat - at least in NSW it was not a problem. So I never had to lug a car seat around. I always called a cab though and requested for one with one.
    “If you want to get to the castle, you’ve got to swim the moat.” Richard Jenkins in Eat Pray Love

Flack is offline Registered User
    Nicole,

The safensound I borrowed you would be able to put a belt around in a cab, (in the slots where the tether strap goes) there are heaps of safensound models though so not sure if they are all the same. This one had bits similar to the maxi cosi where the belt goes through.
    I was pretty hopeless the with the top tether strap too!

nicolejoy is offline Registered User
    I mean a cab in HK - we're in cabs over here a lot...

I really hate the top tether strap, with rear facing car seats it makes it so hard to get the baby out! I would always get my daughter's leg caught or something ;) Dumb Aussie laws!!

Can you buy safensound in HK??

wasabibunny is offline Registered User
    I think it's pretty hard to get any car seats here that meet Oz, Cdn or US standard even if it's a major brand since they sell different models in Asia. It's probably best of you buy the car seat in Australia and bring it back to HK.

Portia is offline Registered User
    Also, one of the problems is that even if your seat meets the standards of a particular country, it technically requires a sticker from the approving authority. I have two car seats of the same model, one purchased in US with a US approval sticker and one purchased in Canada with a Canadian approval sticker. Technically I am only supposed to use the Canadian approved car seat in Canada and the US one in the USA. Pretty ridiculous when it's exactly the same model!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12