Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Airticket back to Home Country

fennho is offline Registered User

Airticket back to Home Country

Hello

My helper's contract is due for renewal. Her agency called to say that as the employer, we need to bear the cost of her return airticket back home for 14days before returning to HK for to work for us for the next 2 years. She said this is the HK policy. I asked if she can make an exit to Macau/Shenzhen for a turnaround instead and she said yes, most people do that but that is the "illegal" way so the correct way is for them to return to home country and return and we have to bear the airticket cost.

We're fine with paying for it, but i'd just like to confirm this cos this agency has a history of lying and bullsh***ing us so i thought we'd better reconfirm with people who have had experience with this.

Anyone? Thanks in advance!

Cheers

carang is offline Registered User
    are YOU renewing her contract?

if yes, then the agency is correct. one of the responsibilities of the EMPLOYER is paying for a ticket to the helper's home (NOT just an airticket, but whatever the cost to their HOME. so if they live a 5 hour bus-ride from the airport, you MUST pay for that, too.).

it is also the EMPLOYER'S responsibility to pay for the ticket for the helper to return to hk to start the new contract.

so, in essence, a return ticket.

(caps for emphasis, not intended as yelling)

rani is offline Administrator
    This is correct. The employer is obligated to give the helper a ticket home at the end of the contract. And if you plan on renewing her, than obviously you need to buy a round trip ticket for her to re-enter HK. However, if its not convenient for you/her to go home now, you can delay the return for up to a year, and ask immigration for an extension when you submit her renewal papers. We would do this with her previous helper, as she was supposed to exit in May, and we would delay her holiday until the summer holidays.

HTH

shuchisingh is offline Registered User
    Also, your helper is eligible for 7 working days leave every year. So the agency is right - she now has 14 "working days" accruded to her. Not including Sundays / Statutary holidays.

Even if you are not renewing her contract the employer is to give FDH 14 working days leave every two years. So in essence if you are not renewing - you would need to pay her for 14 days extra in the settlement dues. Plus the fare back home.

This is mentioned in the employment contract - there's no confusion on this. You could write in and ask the labour dept for flexibility on dates though.

lesliefu is offline Registered User
    sending her to macau / shenzhen is an option, but when they do that their visa is only renewed for 1 year (instead of 2) and at the end of that 1 year they would have to go back to the phillipines (cause they can not go to macau again - cause in essence it's "illegal"...perhaps a legal loophole)...that's what is the situation with my mom's helper now....she's got to go back in Oct (cause it is up for renewal) and then when her contract ends (because she's entitiled to it)...try to keep it simple...

Obiwan is offline Registered User
    Must it be at the end of the contract (2 years), cos we typically will pay for her journey back every year during xmas ....

carang is offline Registered User
    if you pay for other trips, it doesn't matter... you MUST pay for the trip at the end of the contract.

other trips are bonuses.

HKfornow is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by Obiwan View Post
    Must it be at the end of the contract (2 years), cos we typically will pay for her journey back every year during xmas ....
    I asked my agent regarding this question, and her answer is: If you apply for an extension and send her home for Christmas then it counts. . . as 1. she has a RT ticket to go to her home country & 2. you are giving her time off.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast