Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Recent Adventist Experience?

BabyG is offline Registered User

Recent Adventist Experience?

Hi mummies! Has anyone delivered at the Adventist recently? I would really like to hear about the facilities, food etc. before I pay the deposit.

chenschmitt is offline Registered User

I'm looking at Adventist, too. I'd like to hear about it, too! When are you due BabyG?

lemonade is offline Registered User

I just had my second baby at Adventist and I can't say enough good things about my experience there. Of course, I have nothing to compare it to and I know that many people on this website deliver at Matilda so it's impossible for me to give you a comparative assessment. Having said that I can tell you about my experience.

First off, from the moment I arrived, everyone was professional, calm and helpful from the man who met me at the door with a wheelchair (they were expecting me...I guess my doctor called them) to assist me up to the maternity floor to the midwife and nurses that met me and and got me to the labour and delivery room. All the nurses that dealt with me were lovely and really caring. If communication is a concern - except for two of three nurses, they all spoke really good English and for the very few that didn't, it really wasn't a problem as I only encountered them after the delivery and we were able to muddle our way through quite easily.

The food is vegetarian, which I will admit was of concern but I found it to be really tasty. There was a variety of options including both Western and Chinese dishes and I never once asked my husband to bring me different food as I was happy to eat what was on offer.

As far as the facilities go - it's a hospital so it doesn't feel like a hotel or particularly luxurious but I found the facilities to be well maintained and clean. There were tvs for each bed and wireless internet, which was great. I was in a semi-private room alone which was also great. I didn't have any problems as far as post-birth - the nurses were respectful of all of my wishes regarding feeding and when I wanted to keep the baby with me in the room.

If you have more specific concerns or questions let me know and I will try to answer them.

Thank you for sharing lemonade. I had a look at the place last Friday and paid the deposit. I just went up to the maternity ward and asked if I could look around. The nurse was lovely and she spoke very good English. They showed me the different types of rooms and the place was very quiet. The ward only had 2 beds occupied and there were private and semi private rooms available too. I was expecting the rooms to be full after reading stories about overbooking and having to make bookings very early on. Overall I was very happy with the staff and cleanliness of the Adventist. During registration, one of the staff members was playing with my toddler and gave him stickers to keep him busy.

I am 27 weeks pregnant at the moment and will have a C section sometime during the end of August.

nino is offline Registered User

I've posted about this before so I won't go into all the details, but if you are having a planned c-section, you may want to ask about this before you pay a deposit. I had a planned c-section in October 2008. I had paid my deposit at 6 or 7 weeks pregnant and my doctor had called to schedule the operation 2 weeks in advance. When I arrived, there were no beds available and so I was placed on the surgery ward (5th floor) while my daughter stayed in the nursery (2nd floor). Because of the spinal, I couldn't move and so didn't see/nurse/touch my daughter until at least 12 hours after delivery and my husband did not get to see her for over 24 hours. Over the course of my 5 day stay, they continued to assure me that I would be moved to the maternity ward, but even when there were spaces available, I was not moved.
    There were other issues that I had - I think you can probably find the thread about this. I will not be returning to this hospital and would definitely do some research about this issue.

Thanks nino, I actually started this thread because I wanted to find out if anyone had a recent experience like you had. I read all the older posts and am familiar with your story. I am so sorry to hear about that. I hope that overbooking ceases to be an issue at the hospital because It really isn't fair to separate a mother from her child.

Before I paid the deposit I asked the nurse if this was a regular occurrence and she said that lately it hasn't happened. Although they cannot be certain, there is always a possibility and they cannot guarantee what the bed situation will be like on the day of my surgery. Because I have changed from public to private so late in my pregnancy, I don't really have much of a choice as to which hospital to go for. I am just crossing my fingers that I get lucky and get a place on the 2nd floor

Honkyblues is offline Registered User

I would definitely have a back-up plan re food. In my opinion, the food is REVOLTING - somehow they even make simple toast with jam an unappetizing meal. And as for the proper 'meals', I found them inedible.

I wasn't on the maternity ward but had a four day stay on a surgical floor last year. My husband has also had surgery there and hated the food.

I am not a big meat-eater, and generally would pick vegetarian food off a restaurant menu, but the chefs in that hospital need to be put against a wall and shot (or perhaps that's a little harsh - I suppose re-training would work better). ;-)

I should add that I am talking about the Western food here. Maybe the Asian food is a better standard. However, any Westerner I know who has stayed in Adventist has had family bring in sandwiches, pasta dishes, etc - and you can even order in pizza!

On the positive side, my nurses were very nice!

LeahH is offline Registered User

I've stayed at Adventist three times now with my kids when they were in the children's ward. Last time was about 3 months ago.

Have to agree with Honkeyblues, the food was pretty dire and there is no coffee! I tried both western and chinese food but ended up with delivery for at least supper. Also you can't get anything at night as the kitchen finishes.

However, they do have a little fridge in the room so I would stock up on tons of nice snacks and have your husband bring your food in.

Wireless internet was hopeless.

The facilities do not remotely compare with Matilda but the care was excellent and the nurses very nice.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast