Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

choosing a playgroup

ocwleung is offline Registered User

choosing a playgroup

I live in Happy Valley and am wondering which playgroup to take my 14 month old boy to starting in the Autumn. I've heard some good things said about City Kids on Borrett Road. I am also thinking of PiPS at Parkview. Does anyone have children at these playgroups? Do your children like their playgroup? What's the staff/facilities like? I'm looking for a fun, relaxed environment where my child can socialize with other toddlers. Am also interested to see if Mandarin is taught at all.
    Would be grateful for any ideas out there. Thanks!

Sleuth is offline Registered User
    Except for the Mandarin thing, couldn't you just invite people over or to your local playground? Or maybe an afternoon at the Museum, or out to a park?
    This whole "official" play group thing mystifies me.
    Unless you and your husband both work and have no DH, in which case I realize you need to schedule every minute.

Thanks, Sleuth for your comments. The reason I would like my son to attend a playgroup is so that he can meet some toddlers and hopefully make friends with them. Likewise, I would like to meet more mums with children of a similar age. To be honest, I'm not bothered whether or not a playgroup is 'official' or not. More often than not, these playgroups have a lot more space and facilities to put on a range of activities compared to a lot of people's homes, due to lack of space, etc. I already plan something everyday with him so I see this as an opportunity to have some extra fun.

jvn
    jvn is offline Registered User
    It's not an austerity competition - if you can go to a playgroup and you both enjoy it, why not!? I don't need to eat out but I do!

We haven't tried either of those two but enjoy Panda Junction on Wyndham Street and will be doing a trial class in My Gym above the Park'n'shop in Macdonell Road later this month - I think a few of them do trial classes if you ask so why not try that?

Enjoy.

Sazzy is offline Registered User
    Hi - we are having great fun at Sunkids in Happy Valley
    SunKids

They offer Mandarin and English classes. They also offer a free trial class if you want to try it out.

Thanks, Jvn and Sazzy for your feedback. I have already put my son's name down for My Gym but we've been on the waiting list a few months already. Still, I might give Panda Junction and Sunkids a go as they both sound like fun.

Sleuth is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by jvn View Post
    It's not an austerity competition - if you can go to a playgroup and you both enjoy it, why not!? I don't need to eat out but I do!

We haven't tried either of those two but enjoy Panda Junction on Wyndham Street and will be doing a trial class in My Gym above the Park'n'shop in Macdonell Road later this month - I think a few of them do trial classes if you ask so why not try that?

Enjoy.
    Who said anything about austerity? I am just amazed that people on the planet have survived this long, given that these formal playgroups are relatively recent inventions. People used to just invite friends out and then friends would invite friends and before you knew it you had a whole gang having fun. No formal events/scheduling/lessons needed

jvn
    jvn is offline Registered User
    I just didn't really think the playgroup thing was any more mysterious than eating out, going to the cinema, going on holiday etc... generally stuff we want to do because we get something positive out of it but probably don't need to do; unless your stated goal is saving money which I don't think the OP's was - I was being a bit flippant, sorry!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast