Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Mmr?

ciaobella is offline Registered User

Mmr?

There has been lots of controversy around the MMR vaccine. A link to autism has been found and unproven. With my little boy coming up to 1, he is due the MMR vaccination. Whilst I do not think that we would consider not having the vaccination, I do wonder if the money men have not just paid to have the autism link 'rubbished'.

To compound this my mother-in-law's nephew is autistic, her family are convinced that he was not autistic until he had the MMR. So, I am quite concerned.

I would like to hear other people thoughts about the MMR vaccine. I know that should my son be diagnosed as autistic as he gets older, we will of course be ok with this, I'm just concerned about the safety of the vaccine.

carang is offline Registered User
    both of my kids have had the jab.

i think that the doctor concerned has REALLY done a dis-service to parents....parents should not feel so conflicted when it comes time for the jab.

personally, i think it is VERY important that kids get the jabs...

Nic
    Nic is offline Registered User
    The link below provides some interesting reading, it was only released last week.

Talk to your Doctor, I did, my half brother is autistic so I did have doubts but after talking to Dr. and doing some research (and definitely after the article below) I gave my daughter the MMR vaccine.

BBC News - MMR doctor struck from register

jvn
    jvn is offline Registered User
    The graph at the end of the article says it all, measles can cause some serious complications and occasionally can kill and this cannot compare to a risk that was always speculative and has not been proven in the subsequent 12 years.

I agree that the doctors who published this study, whatever their intention at the time, did parents and children a terrible disservice both by indirectly increasing the incidence of these diseases when vaccinations dropped and also by making parents of autistic children second guess themselves.

It's just a conspiracy theory too far for me to imagine that research teams in the UK, Finland, the US and Japan can all be bribed to say that there is no proven link.

zyxwv is offline Registered User
    Do a search for MMR on this site and you will see that the discussion can get pretty charged. Suffice it to say that I share your concerns but I also would not opt to have my son forgo entirely vaccination for the diseases covered by MMR.

We had hoped to purchase the individual vaccines and have them administered separately. This used to be an option in HK but is actually no longer possible anywhere as Merck stopped producing the single mumps vaccine. They are supposed to resume at some point but, to my knowledge, have not.

After discussing it with our Paed, we are opting to wait until our son is 2. By then he will be much further along developmentally. Our Paed was totally relaxed about waiting a few months. This clearly isn't a solution but it is another path.

ciaobella is offline Registered User
    Thankyou for your replies, I totally agree with getting the MMR and would not, not have my son vaccinated, it is just that niggling doubt. As you all suggest I'll talk it over with the doctor and hopefully the niggle will go.

carey is offline Registered User
    Now that you started this thread, It rises my concerns too. We have no autistic family members, but we would really like to be safe than sorry.

So zyxwv, does it mean that you would push the MMR injection back until your little one is two years old? On our Healthy baby program, we are supposed to get the Pneumococcal conjugate vaccine at 12 month's visit. Did you get this push back too? or just the MMR.

zyxwv is offline Registered User
    We only pushed back the MMR.

Did the Varicella and PCV on schedule at 13 months (Dept of Health recommendation is 12-15 months) and will do the 18 month vaccines on schedule as well.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Scroll to top