Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Going out with a newborn & a toddler

FShah is offline Registered User

Going out with a newborn & a toddler

Hi~

Would love to hear from mommies with 2/3 kids on how you handle going out with a breastfed newborn & a toddler(s) on your own (without hub or helper).

- Do you carry your newborn in a sling/carrier & have your toddler walk/in the stroller.. or have your newborn in the stroller & have your toddler walk?

- When you need to bf your newborn, how do you get your toddler to actually wait albeit patiently that half hour or so?

I have a newborn & an active 28month old toddler without a fulltime helper, and am finding it intimidating going out with both on my own.

Thanks!

carang is offline Registered User
    personally, i would take a sling & a stroller... that way, if toddler wants a break, you have the stroller... but if your back is killing you, then you can put the baby in the stroller.

for feeding time... take a couple of small books or a pad of paper and 3 or 4 colours, that way, the toddler can keep occupied while you are feeding.

if you have an ipod video, those also work a wonder with a 28 month old! download a couple of cartoons and you're set to go for at least 20 minutes.

the first few times, i wouldn't venture too far. but trust me, you'll soon get the hang of it.

i used to take my two to ocean park by myself. that actually, was a great outing! your toddler can run around the playground etc and burn off energy and you can take a break and feed baby. but ONLY so long as your 2 year old will come when called, otherwise, it may be too stressful for you.

MilkMonster is offline Registered User
    Hi FSahh,
    I don't have a helper and in the beginning taking them out was really stressful for me too. I would use the baby carrier for the baby and the graco edt (lightest stroller i could find) for my toddler or my bag so i wouldn't get so tired with carrying all the weight.

what i did was try to time it so the older one would have a snack strapped into the stroller while i fed the baby. having him run around (even tho he would come when called) was too stressful for me in the beginning. I didnt do that until the younger one was on solids (mind you my kids are only 16mths apart so the older one was really still a baby too LOL)

good luck! you can do it!!!

Sleuth is offline Registered User
    Sling and stroller. I think that once you do it a few times, you will discover you are making this out to be a bigger problem than it really is.
    Agree with MilkMonster on the Graco stroller. The lighter the better.

FShah is offline Registered User
    Thank you for all your inputs! :D

Have gone out handful of times & found it quite stressful bfeeding & toddler run around..

will keep the Ipod/iphone idea, coloring (thanks carang! didnt think of it myself) & the snack in the stroller...

MilkMonster - thanks for a boost of encouragement! ;)

Sleuth- yes, you're right a couple more times & im sure id get the hang of it.