Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Moses baskets, cots, cotbeds???

matemate is offline Registered User

Moses baskets, cots, cotbeds???

Hi, i would like to understand a bit more from the experts here.

We are thinking of what to buy for the baby-boy to sleep in, but i have no clue where to start. So let me just write down my questions:

- A moses basket is for when they are small, but until what age? and do you need it at all?
    - Someone said that the baby should sleep in the parent's room until a few months old, but some say it's best to let it sleep in a separate room right away so it can learn to be on its own (of course listening to the crying still). What's the story here?
    - What's the difference between a cot and a cotbed? is it just size and until what age a kid can use it?
    - Our gut feel tells us to buy a cot (125cm x 70cm). How long will this last?
    - What goes into the cot or cotbed when the baby is newborn / young? is some bedding mandatory, or do you do the thing called swaddling on a simple bedsheet, or anything else?

Sorry for all these questioms but some clarity would be very helpful.

mcdill is offline Registered User
    - moses basket: I think this will only last a few months. I did not use one because I didn't have the space to store it afterwards
    - sleeping in which room: this is really up to your personal preference, I don't think there is any right or wrong. I found it handy to be able to lean over and check on the baby in the middle of the night.
    - cotbed is bigger, so that you can start off with it looking like a cot and then change the sides and transition to toddler bed later on. Can be used up to 5 years old.
    - in warmer weather: waterproof sheet + bedsheet, light swaddle
    - in cooler weather: waterproof sheet + bedsheet + sleeping bag or thick swaddle. If you use a blanket it should be tucked in securely and the baby be placed at the bottom of the cot to avoid the blanket riding up.

Nashua852 is offline Registered User
    - We're selling a moses basket if you're interested. With a stand / We used a cosleeper in our bed for our 1st and the moses basket for our second. I preferred the moses basket (see below) as I was not too fond of baby in bed all the time 1. safety 2. needed my own space. This all went to pot as I dream-fed with both

- The official advice (generally SIDS related) is that baby should be in your room until 6 months. Our first was in his room from 2 months and our second from 4 months

- A cot you can use until baby is around 2. A cot-bed converts either to a toddler bed or a single bed

- Cot until age of 2 (if you're lucky - my son was in a toddler bed from 18 mos. mostly because we had just moved house)

- Cotbed up to 5 is my assumption correct me if Im wrong anyone!
    - Generally cot bumpers are a no-no but we used them with number one as he grew older as he had a penchant for headbutting. All you really need is a fitted sheet / swaddle and later on fitted sheet and grobag. Don't get sucked into the nursery bedding sets - gorgeous as they are.

We bought one and ended up using the blanket as a playmat, lol.
    Proud Mama to Kian Danyaal 08.12.2007 & Adara Michelle 10.10.2009

jvn
    jvn is offline Registered User
    You don't *need* a moses basket but I have to say we loved ours (which also had a stand). We had it in the bedroom at night and moved it into the living room for naps during the day. Can't remember how long The Boy was in it for, a few months and then it depends how big/active the baby is.

I believe the advice on SIDS is to have the baby in your room till six months old (the theory being, I think that your breathing regulates theirs) that being said there's a lot of advice out there that doesn't suit every family and I know lots of people who've had babies in their own room much much earlier.

With where the baby sleeps it's worth considering that it is easier to have the baby in your room in terms of getting up, settling and feeding but for some people it's easier to sleep with the baby in another room as they aren't generally quiet sleepers - depends entirely on you.

I really wouldn't worry about the baby developing 'bad' habits i.e. not being able to sleep on their own until at least 4 to 6 months - by which time you'll know a lot more about what you want to do sleepwise.

Bedding for us was fitted sheets, all-in-one, open down the front jammies and a swaddle (I liked the grobag ones) and then gro bag when they are bigger although when it's warm the boy just sleeps in his cot with his jammies and no other covering.

A good tip for the early days is to put a muslin underneath their head so if they upchuck you don't need to change all the bedding just the mussie :-)

If you're unsure which way to go I'd get the minimum you can get by with for the first few months and then you'll be able to figure out what's right for you and your baby later on.

matemate is offline Registered User
    thanks a lot for your feedback. already clarified a lot. a few follow up questions:

About sleeping in which room, i seem to hear that the baby must sleep at least the first few weeks in the parents' room? is there a medical or safety reason for this really? (i hear the breathing thingy, but that sounds to me more like one of these exotic pregnancy stories?)

maybe my question is, did anyone have the baby in its own room from day 1?

initially we were thinking to put the baby in its own room where we also have a sofa for the adult (maid, wife, or hubby) to sleep if required. the reason is that both of us are light sleepers and would stay awake quite easily if there is any other movement in the room.

however, if we do have to or should have the baby-boy in our room, then where to put if not a moses basket? it cannot be in the parents' bed due to the risk of rolling over them, right?

penelope is offline Registered User
    or you could buy a pack n play to use in your room for the first few months and it s not a complete waste as you can use it as well for travelling.
    Our son was in his room from day one, we had the angelcare baby monitor to check on his breathing. I m not sure if they actually work but it gave us peace of mind.
    We bought a cot bed. the size is usually 140x70 cm. We re really happy with that choice as our 4 year old is still using it and will for a while.The only mistake we made was to buy a foam mattress ( from mothercare) wich wasn t really good so we had to change it for a more expensive mamas and papas spring one when our son turned 3. the old mattress was completely collapsed in the middle.

nicolejoy is offline Registered User
    I had our daughter in our room for the first couple of days but found that we couldn't sleep at all with her in there so she went into her room almost from day 1. We just had a cot which she used up until 18 months. The only reason why we put her into a big bed was to prepare for #2 so that her baby sister could use the cot.

I'm considering borrowing a moses basket for #2 though - because the bub will either be in our room or in with my daughter and I'd rather her wake ME up than my other daughter and then I'll have two babies to deal with! I wouldn't buy a moses basket though because you can use it for such a short period of time. And the main reason why I'd use THAT instead of our cot is because it'd take up less space in our room.

Another thing to consider is that if you do get a moses basket, it's just another thing to store - and do you have the storage room for that? Maybe you do, I don't know... but you'll end up needing a LOT of storage space for all the baby stuff that you'll accumulate! Either that or you'll be selling it all/giving it to charity or something...

TNT
    TNT is offline Banned
    Re sleeping in the same room, it is actually recommended by SIDS for the 1st 6 months as previously mentioned based on scientific research that it reduces the incidence of SIDS. But also many babies sleep better and become less distressed on waking when they are in the same room especially in the 1st couple of months, as you hear them sooner and they don't have time to get wound up before they are picked up, fed etc

You can also put the cot in your room if you have space, but if not and you don't want to use a moses basket they can sleep in your bed as long as you follow some precautions (google co sleeping to check).

the only thing i'd say is keep your options open as you may find once the baby is born you change your mind about what you want to do. ie you would like the baby in a separate room now but might find you want him in your room - you will still probably wake all the time initially anyway even if he is in another room!!! I just know lots of people who have thought one thing and then gone the opposite way (and even have different approaches with each baby)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast