Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Lunch boxes

Buckeroo is offline Registered User

Lunch boxes

Hi! For those moms out there whose children bring their own lunches to school --

1) What do you use for a lunch box? Partitioned? Separate containers for different food?
    2) What do you usually pack? Only sandwiches? Hot food?
    3) Do they finish their lunch or do they come home with leftovers?
    4) Any tips to share?

My son will start having his lunch at school when he starts P1 this fall and I want to prepare myself for what's ahead.

Thanks for your help.

TheQuasimother is offline Registered User
    Buckeroo

My son (not in P1) has Picnic Day once a week.
    Parents are expected to pack morning tea for the kids on that day.
    I got him a 3 partitioned lunch box and filled it up with different things.

- Peanut Butter/Jelly sandwich or Cheese and Butter pinwheel sandwiches (all cut to fit the largest partition of the lunch box)
    - Fruit that will not mess e.g. Grapes/Blueberries/Dried Mango in another
    - Crackers (Animal crackers/ABC crackers/Fish - never with cream)/ Popcorn (Plain - Unsalted)
    - Cheese cubes - not soft cheese
    - Also carrots, cherry tomatoes, brocolli, cauliflower or any other vegetable we've observed he eats without a mess. (My son's an avid vegetarian - refuses to eat meat)

He brings along a bottle of water on that day too.
    Whatever he doesn't want to eat, he brings back. But after almost a year, we've figured out what he will eat and what he won't at lunch. At times, he has suggested in advance what he wants. As long as it's not messy, we indulge in his independent requests.

We also got a pocket size lunch idea book from Australian Women's Weekly to get ideas. I think Annabel Karmel has one too. But the one from AWW was cheap as chips and had great ideas.
    “If you want to get to the castle, you’ve got to swim the moat.” Richard Jenkins in Eat Pray Love

Buckeroo is offline Registered User
    Thanks, Quasimother! That helps a lot. :)

Where did you get the 3-partitioned lunch box?

TheQuasimother is offline Registered User
    Where you buy them depends on how much you want to spend.
    We've gotten them at Jusco, Japan Home even our local Welcome Supermarket - I think they had a special on Sesame Street series. You may be able to find them at Wing On or Sogo. The Japanese stores are usually better with cute lunch boxes.
    I think Trendyland has them too - mostly two-partitions and a lot more expensive as their the real mccoys from Japan - HK, Miffy, Boy with the Big Mouth.

Generally if I see one and they are not too expensive, I buy one. They don't seem to last very long. If you are heading home this summer (Australia is it?) - there are nice ones there too. We bought a Jungle set for him when we were there last and they are better quality than the ones in HK - from Target.
    “If you want to get to the castle, you’ve got to swim the moat.” Richard Jenkins in Eat Pray Love